Garmin Quest

Guest vfjayr

Guest vfjayr
I dont have the motorcycle mounting hardware yet so I used the car cradle that comes with the unit and attached it on the triple clamp that way, I  will post some pics soon.

Does anyone have the Garmin installation directions for the quest powered moto mount in some kind of e copy?

Thx,

VFJAYR

• Member Contributer

I recently purchased a quest II (that was a pretty cheap bargain $470) but I was very dissapointed when I found out that the Mapsource software for the computer wasn't contained in the package :huh: ... Until now I have been planning all of my routes using the GPS unit and that's a real pain in the neck...

Is that the way it should be? Does one have to buy the software separately?

I recently purchased a quest II (that was a pretty cheap bargain $470) but I was very dissapointed when I found out that the Mapsource software for the computer wasn't contained in the package  :huh: ... Until now I have been planning all of my routes using the GPS unit and that's a real pain in the neck...

Is that the way it should be? Does one have to buy the software separately?

Big Sur - Call or email Garmin and they will send you a disc. I had mine 3-4 days later. :wheel:

Thanks a lot!  :huh:

I l'l call them, first thing tomorrow morning

No problem! I was a bit deflated when I opened the box and didn't find any software with the unit. Thankfully Garmin will honor any request for a disc to QuestII owners.

• Member Contributer

Has anyone with a Quest or Quest 2 experienced the same problem the reviewer noted in this link, with the flip-up antenna not staying up and causing frequent loss of satellite contact? His was a negative review, but could be the exception to an otherwise fine product. I've been contemplating the Quest 2 for a while and haven't made a decision yet, but this is the ony show stopper I've encountered so far in all my research.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-quest-2/quest2.htm

Has anyone with a Quest or Quest 2 experienced the same problem the reviewer noted in this link, with the flip-up antenna not staying up and causing frequent loss of satellite contact?  His was a negative review, but could be the exception to an otherwise fine product. I've been contemplating the Quest 2 for a while and haven't made a decision yet, but this is the ony show stopper I've encountered so far in all my research.

I also have a quest with a RAM mount, I LOVE it. Even with the satellite antenna flipped down it will still retain a sat lock, just less strength. Mine doesn't retract all the way when riding, it just hits the mount and stops partially open. It only retracts from the wind... I have to be doing at least 100mph before that happens... so its not an issue. I do mount it as close to the handle bars as I can, I used two 1.5" extensions that go in a > type shape.

Also, I can testify that the ram mount and quest will survive a COLLISION. On my first VFR that I low sided, it stayed snuggly in its mount even though the bike collided with a guardrail and spun about 7 times. Good stuff :thumbsup:

Has anyone with a Quest or Quest 2 experienced the same problem the reviewer noted in this link, with the flip-up antenna not staying up and causing frequent loss of satellite contact?  His was a negative review, but could be the exception to an otherwise fine product. I've been contemplating the Quest 2 for a while and haven't made a decision yet, but this is the ony show stopper I've encountered so far in all my research.

I've never had a problem with the antenna staying up. I've bumped it a few times when attempting to access the ignition but that's my own issue, not a fault of the Quest.

Does anyone have the Garmin installation directions for the quest powered moto mount in some kind of e copy?

Thx,

VFJAYR

There isn't really much in the way of directions that come with the motorcycle mount. It comes with a single sheet but not much info on it. You dont really need any directions for it anyway. (Keep in mind that the Garmin moto mount is just the cradle + some wiring, you still need the RAM mount hardware)

I have been using the Quest with RAM mount for about 1000 miles now. I haven't had such a problem and I dont think I will.

With the RAM mount you can adjust the angle it connects to the gas tank bolts and also you can adjust the angle the cradle & Quest hooks to the RAM mount. So you have a lot of flexibility in where exactly you want the Quest to sit with respect to the rest of the bike. I have noticed that if you put the Quest too high, it vibrates some. but if you place it low on the mount close, to the triple clamp, it is in there very snug & tight and no vibration at all.

I dont think you have anything to worry about using the Quest on the bike.

• Member Contributer

The only time my ant flips down is when I hit a large bump. It doesn't loose any signal though, and I usually don't notice until I go to turn the ignition.

Yep,

I have it attached to the ram mount but dont want to cut into my wiring until I know what I am doing.

VFjayR

There isn't really much in the way of directions that come with the motorcycle mount. It comes with a single sheet but not much info on it.  You dont really need any directions for it anyway.  (Keep in mind that the Garmin moto mount is just the cradle + some wiring, you still need the RAM mount hardware)

• Member Contributer

Help me out here. I'm GPS illiterate.

I mostly ride in the middle of freaking nowhere in the mountains with no particular destination other than the next curve and home eventually. Will the Garmin Quest (it looks very interesting and I like the battery power) tell me where I am in relation to something and get me on a route back home when I started out without a planned route?

Told you I was not up on GPS units.

Thanks,

Bent +1.gif

• Member Contributer
Help me out here.  I'm GPS illiterate. 

I mostly ride in the middle of freaking nowhere in the mountains with no particular destination other than the next curve and home eventually.  Will the Garmin Quest (it looks very interesting and I like the battery power) tell me where I am in relation to something and get me on a route back home when I started out without a planned route? 

Told you I was not up on GPS units.

Thanks,

Bent  +1.gif

yes

Archived