Triple-row oil cooler

Guest bikecest

Guest bikecest

great idea veefer ,cooler the engine the longer it lasts, theres a top notch oil cooler i'll have to look up , i think it has 4 rows and will fit . thanks

On the coldest of days, running down the highway for hours at 60-70 MPH, my bike sits right at 79'C which is 174'F. Not too cold in my books.

I've noticed that my bike spends far less time under 100'C (212'F) than it used to before the oil cooler mod. That is, when running in the city in normal stop 'n go traffic.

It used to almost always run above 100'C in city traffic with the 2-row cooler.

The reverse is true the further you go below an engine's normal operating temperature.

The million dollar question would be what is the normal operating temperature for the 5th gen bikes?? If it was supposed to be 210 degrees F, why wouldn't you put a different thermostat in the bike than 180 degrees F??

I don't know who is right, my bike still has the stock cooler on it. But with that being said, they can make different thermostat opening temps and if the bike was truly designed to run hotter, I would think a different thermostat should have been put in.

I would say that with all the modern technology that there would be less friction in a modern engine than one designed and built in the mid 1980's. Less friction = more power = less heat? Also if less friction using 100% syn oils? less heat???

Dunno - I'm no expert - just thinking out loud.

• Member Contributer
Well, this was done back when the geardrive 800s were still relatively new, the 5th generation had not yet evolved (devolved?) into the VTEC, and compared to earlier versions of the VFR, the 800s did seem to be running high temps, even when there were no mechanical issues with the cooling systems.

So based on the fact that my bike was always running near/over 212'F/100'C in warm weather, with a perfectly functioning cooling system, I tried this as an experiment. Obviously Honda felt that this size cooler was needed on a 750 making 86HP back in the day, so why would an 800 making 100HP need a smaller cooler???

Also, they upsized the oil cooler on the 2002 VTEC models to exactly what I have here, PLUS they enlarged the side-mounted radiators by 8%, so there must have been some basis for that?

Anyhow, running the bike hard in 100' California heat thru the twisties, I noticed that my bike was 8-10'F cooler than 2 other 800s I was riding with, one other Canadian spec bike and one CA spec bike, if that means anything at all. Or not. :shrugs:

great mod! i bought a four row cooler several months ago, but yet it has not been installed( i crashed ).your pics are great and it looks to be a sanitary installation. TO THE DOUBTERS....look at a stock 5th gen and compare to a stock 6 gen. draw your own conclusions!

I would say that with all the modern technology that there would be less friction in a modern engine than one designed and built in the mid 1980's. Less friction = more power = less heat? Also if less friction using 100% syn oils? less heat???

Dunno - I'm no expert - just thinking out loud.

True, but most of the heat isn't from friction - it's from infernal combustion. The VFR800 with side-mounted pannier radiators tends to run a bit warmer than earlier VFRs, I'd imagine, partly because it's producing more power by dint of higher compression and bigger capacity. I bet too that the fuel injection makes the engine a little leaner running, which would also add heat.

• Member Contributer
great mod! i bought a four row cooler several months ago, but yet it has not been installed( i crashed ).your pics are great and it looks to be a sanitary installation. TO THE DOUBTERS....look at a stock 5th gen and compare to a stock 6 gen. draw your own conclusions!

Are you serious? What conclusion could you possibly come to? Are you saying that because Honda put a larger cooler on the 6th gen that they must have made a mistake in not putting it on the 5th gen? Sorry to be a smart arse here but, I just don't understand that reasoning. :huh:

Personally I don't have an issue with Rob's mod, it doesn't appear that it lowers temps enough to cause any problems. My original post was in response to the suggestion made in an early post in this thread that "the cooler the engine the longer it lasts".

Are you serious? What conclusion could you possibly come to? Are you saying that because Honda put a larger cooler on the 6th gen that they must have made a mistake in not putting it on the 5th gen? Sorry to be a smart arse here but, I just don't understand that reasoning. :huh:

They also enlarged the side radiators by 8% on the VTEC models. Seems Honda felt that more cooling was required or they would not have done it.

• Member Contributer
They also enlarged the side radiators by 8% on the VTEC models. Seems Honda felt that more cooling was required or they would not have done it.

Still, that doesn't mean they did it for the 6th gen because it was inadequate for the 5th gen. That is an awfully big assumption without any facts to back it up. That is what I have problems with. This is Honda we are talking about here, they have a reputation for over-engineering. I seriously doubt they just guessed at the cooling needs for these bikes. It is also not like the 6th gen is just a modified 5th gen, with each generation so far the VFR has been completely re-designed from the ground up, not just a simple nip and tuck here and there to make the next generation.

Still, that doesn't mean they did it for the 6th gen because it was inadequate for the 5th gen. That is an awfully big assumption without any facts to back it up. That is what I have problems with. This is Honda we are talking about here, they have a reputation for over-engineering. I seriously doubt they just guessed at the cooling needs for these bikes.

There was a lot of buzz on the Big List about the 800's running hot when they first came out in '98.

Not sure whether that trickled down to Honda or not, but for some reason they felt it needful to increase the cooling capacity despite no increases in horsepower from 2001 to 2002.

:shrugs:

• Member Contributer

They talk about a lot of things on the big list, it is still just speculation.

I really don't want to argue about this, I have said my piece. In the end it is your bike and you have to make the call. If you are happy with it that is all that matters. Get a beer and go back out to your garage, that is what I am gonna do :huh:

Archived