quick-release pins for plastic?

angst

I was wondering if anyone has done this to their VFR, or other bike, or know if a way to do it: replace all the screws that attach the plastic to the bike with quick-release pins like on Ducs.

5f_1.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I hate doing maintenance on her because of the tedium of removing/replacing the plastic. AND, I want to start going out to the track and have a rashed set of plastic that I would put on (just in case...). So, what do y'all think it would take to replace the mounting points of the side panels, and possibly the front cowl too, with these pins?

• Member Contributer

Is there a problem with the spring "handle" at speed? It wouldn't matter on the track body work but it would appear that it would be susceptible to movement and marking the paint.

Have any members used a Dzus style fastener in this application?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/dzus.htm

• Member Contributer

I got all the hardware to do this but changed my mind. My concern was with attaching the receiving piece. I couldn't figure out a way to do it without weakening the fairing.

• Member Contributer
Teleskier: Can't you post a link for a brother??? :salesman:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ic=5401&hl=dzus

Sorry, I am multi tasking with about 8 different things at the moment...my apologies..

• Member Contributer
I was wondering if anyone has done this to their VFR, or other bike, or know if a way to do it:  replace all the screws that attach the plastic to the bike with quick-release pins like on Ducs.

5f_1.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I hate doing maintenance on her because of the tedium of removing/replacing the plastic.  AND, I want to start going out to the track and have a rashed set of plastic that I would put on (just in case...).  So, what do y'all think it would take to replace the mounting points of the side panels, and possibly the front cowl too, with these pins?

I have a pack of ten of these if you want them if not im throwing them back on ebay. i bought them for 40 bucks, but make me an offer if you want them. i am just to lazy to do this mod.

Michael

I didn't think removing the plastic was that bad. Using a cordless screwdriver with a 5mm bit makes quick work of removing the screws. Also, following the service manual instructions for removing the push rivets makes it fairly easy IMO.

I didn't think removing the plastic was that bad. Using a cordless screwdriver with a 5mm bit makes quick work of removing the screws. Also, following the service manual instructions for removing the push rivets makes it fairly easy IMO.

I suppose it's not that bad, but with bolting down the plastic so many times, I also worry about the paint and possibly cracking the ABS.

Those damn rivets... they are an ingenious design but piss me off so much.. and they've started breaking on me and I haven't used them that much yet.

I guess I just need to buy a big bag of them as replacements.

I suppose it's not that bad, but with bolting down the plastic so many times, I also worry about the paint and possibly cracking the ABS.

Those damn rivets... they are an ingenious design but piss me off so much.. and they've started breaking on me and I haven't used them that much yet.

I guess I just need to buy a big bag of them as replacements.

I didn't think removing the plastic was that bad.

Neither did I.

The standard fasteners on the 3rd Gen VFRs are a similar kind of fastener anyway (a Dzus fastener with a slightly different head), and I lost one when I put it on without making sure it had clicked into place. Cost me NZ$19 for a new one, IIRC.

At least the normal allen head ones, and the 'rubber grommet' kind don't tend to fall out.

I think Dzus fasteners look kewl on a full-on sports bike, but not quite right on a sports tourer. Too industrial..

I can get a fairing off in 3-5 minutes. I'm VERY familiar with Dzus stuff, but I don't see how using them can shave very much time off of my routine....nor does it really matter for the occasional (once a month, maybe) removal and tinkering :joystick: that I do. Way too much trouble to make brackets and clips and enlarged holes....and, they're not all that pretty! wink.gif

Archived