Putting on a new Rear Tire ... Front is good!

Guest woodcycl

Guest woodcycl

I have a front Metzeler Z6 with fewer than 800 miles on it. However, my rear is just bot gone. I'd like to move to the M3's.

Any thoughts on mixing my front Z6 with a M3 rear? Sure would be a lot less expensive than buying both a new front and rear M3. And, I really don't want another Z6 even though they have done well for me overall the past 1.5yrs.

• Member Contributer
I have a front Metzeler Z6 with fewer than 800 miles on it.  However, my rear is just bot gone.  I'd like to move to the M3's. 

Any thoughts on mixing my front Z6 with a M3 rear?  Sure would be a lot less expensive than buying both a new front and rear M3.  And, I really don't want another Z6 even though they have done well for me overall the past 1.5yrs.

Everyone says a Sport back and ST front are bad combination, as the front can slip before the back.

Maybe run another Z6 rear, then get a new set of M3s?

I just changed from ST tires for the last 10-15K miles to Sport tires (M3s) wow, what a difference. I really, really love the M3s, but I am only really comparing to PRoads and M1s a long time ago.

I just put on some PPowers tonight; my M3s still have a lot of miles left, but about to do a trip of 2000-2500 miles. I have heard a lot of good things about them, and that rear profile is pretty good looking. I can?t wait to scrub them in tomorrow.

Everyone says a Sport back and ST front are bad combination, as the front can slip before the back.

Maybe run another Z6 rear, then get a new set of M3s?

:idea3:

what he said!

Sorry guys but I disagree, go ahead & put the M3 on the rear if you want to because unless your pushing bike to limits you wont notice (buy limits you better be scraping pegs in a major way to the point you have removed touch down feelers).

The rear will have more grip granted & may push front now & then but we aren't talking race track here & the VFR being so nuetral you can just roll off a touch any hint of front end movement. The only thing I would do is run lower pressure in front to make it work harder & increase it's contact patch.

You will find that your prob going to need new rear again before front anyway, but all depends on your riding. I go through a rear Pilot Power every 3000kms but I don't comute at all, my riding is just for fun :-)

Archived