Replacing Front Fork Bolt

NVR2L8

• Member Contributer

I was setting the front preload on my '05, and for some reason (okay...I'm an idiot) I thought the fork tube bolt (looks like a nut but the service manual calls it a bolt) had to be loosened in order to increase/decrease the preload. I had no more than slipped off the bolt when I remembered it wasn't necessary...and now I have a slightly "buggered up" bolt. I checked the service manual and it looks as though the bolt can be easily replaced, but I'm afraid things might go flying if I remove it. So if I decide to replace it, I need to know if the bolt is an easy replacement, or does it have to wait until the forks are serviced?

Sounds like you're talking about the entire fork cap?

In that case, you'll need a new one (obviously).

With the bike on the centerstand, back the preload off to minimum, take a socket and ratchet in hand, unscrew the fork cap with the buggered edges (hopefully you can still get a good bite on it) I recommend a 6-point socket over a 12-point one.

Loosen the fork cap and when it comes off that last thread, be prepared for it to spring out with a bit of force, so be ready to control it. No, it won't fly across the room, but just be ready for a small release of energy. The front end of the bike will also drop a bit, you may wish to block under the headers so it doesn't drop too far.

Reinstall the new fork cap with the preload adjuster set to minimum, make sure the O-ring is present and accounted for. Put a little fork oil on the o-ring and the threads of the cap and screw it in with the socket and an extension. Don't use the ratchet just yet because you want to "feel" the threads and ensure it's going in perfectly straight. The threads are very fine and you don't want to cross-thread them.

Once you're certain that it's threading in perfectly correct, then you can spin it down all the way, tighten with the ratchet to the recommended torque.

On my 5th gen, that's 17 ft/lbs. Not sure if it's different for a 6th gen.

• Member Contributer

The fork cap isn't totally messed up...it's just that you can tell I started to mess up the top edges. And functionally it works fine...just a little ugly from a cosmetic standpoint. I will check into a 6-point socket, but thanks for the help...great directions!!!

The fork cap isn't totally messed up...it's just that you can tell I started to mess up the top edges.  And functionally it works fine...just a little ugly from a cosmetic standpoint.  I will check into a 6-point socket, but thanks for the help...great directions!!!

If it's not too buggered, maybe a few minutes with a small fine file would dress up the ragged edges of the hex and return it to a prettier state.

Archived