high beam keeps burning out (4th gen)

ron_al

• Member Contributer

I have had my 94 VFR750 since May, 2002. It?s a great bike, but I wonder why I keep having headlight problems.

I had a new regulator/rectifier installed by my local dealer in January, 2003.

I lost the left high beam in October, 2003, replacing it with a Honda 45w/45w bulb.

I lost the right high beam in January, 2005 (replacing it with a Sylvania Silverstar 55w/60w bulb from my local Autozone, with an adapter ring).

This weekend (March, 2006), I get the bike out to go for a ride & find that I have lost BOTH high beams. However, both low beams work just fine. Both high beams worked just a couple of weeks prior to this, and the bike was left on a battery tender in the meantime.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Or do you have any suggestions (aside from buying H4 bulbs in bulk)?

Thanks!

Ron

• Member Contributer

I used to run high beam all the time on my ST1100 and then my ST1300. They burnt out frequently. Running low beams I've not lost any bulbs so maybe the life of the high beam bulb is less do to the heat. VFR Geezer

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Is anyone having specific problems with Silverstars (the designated motorcycle ones) burning out? I've had three go in about 3000 miles. The last one that burned I replaced with an el cheapo one from Oreilly auto... eight bucks vs. eighteen i thought was worth a thought. are there any other manufacturers of replacement bulbs this size besides Sylvania? I've never thought their stuff (I don't care if it's made in Germany) was particularly good but I can't find replacements anywhere other than OEM.

• 11 months later...

I might have the same problem.

Replaced the stock ones for silverstars.

I have had them for about 1k miles.

Now, both high beams are out. I mostly ride with high beams on.

Low beams ok.

I'll put the stock back on to make sure this is a bulb problem and not something else.

If it's the bulbs, these silverstart are crap then. They should last a lot longer.

They're $20 each.

Is anyone having specific problems with Silverstars (the designated motorcycle ones) burning out? I've had three go in about 3000 miles.

Yes!

Replaced both low beams with Silverstars, they went out in less than 1,000, miles. I put in standard replacements from some generic auto parts store when on a tour, they have lasted over 14,000 miles

• 3 months later...

Archived