alternatives to the aerostich one-piece

Guest superchode

Guest superchode

well i want to pick up an easy-on easy-off one-piece touring suit that i can slide over my work clothes for commuting and it also up for the task of long distance touring (all weather).

had my mind set on a 'stich - but they've told me that because of my height and build (6'3"-6'4", 175lbs - tall and thin) they can't fit me in a one-piece. their two-piece stuff would likely work - but i hate the look of 3/4 jackets.

is there somewhere else i could go that may be able to fit me into a one-piece? other alternatives? is anyone else making touring products comperable to aerostich?

they do alterations - but the problem for me would be in the torso area - it would be too short if the suit fit everywhere else (especially the chest) and they don't do torso alterations, apparently.

i'm a bit bummed.

• Member Contributer

have you considered steroids and weight training? Just kidding. there has to be someone out there that can do a custom non leather suit. Perhaps getting the stitch as close as you can then going to a independant seamtress for alterations?

well i'm not really keen on putting the not insignificant amount of coin down for a 'stich and then having to immediately chop into it. nevermind that the material is likely not a widely available off-the-shelf thing.

• Member Contributer

I'm 6'-3", 190-195, ex-rower. Short torso, long legs. I started with a 44L one-piece and had 3" added to the legs. Fits great, and it is the best thing you can buy for wear over work clothes. Even if you have a longer torso, I would think that they could fit you with the back panel ellipse alteration, which adds 2" to the back. They might be concerned that it'll be tight in the crotch when you're standing up, though.

i think to fit perfectly over a t-shirt - i'd require a 40 XLong... i think a 42L would work with some alterations.

this is what they told me:

With only having a 38 chest and being 6'4", there is no way the torso will fit you.? The 40L only goes up to someone who is 6'.? We do not offer alterations to make the torso length any longer.? You could try the two piece with the zip in ellipse, that might give you a little more length in the torso and it would still go on like the one piece.? If the ellipse does not work, then it would be the bib converter with the two piece or the Darien.

so they're worried about the torso and they don't modify the torso. any other manufacturer like fieldsheer won't offer sizes like 40 or 42 extra long either.

basically it doesn't look like i'll be able to get any one-piece straight off the shelf.

• Member Contributer
I'm 6'-3", 190-195, ex-rower.  Short torso, long legs.  I started with a 44L one-piece and had 3" added to the legs.  Fits great, and it is the best thing you can buy for wear over work clothes.  Even if you have a longer torso, I would think that they could fit you with the back panel ellipse alteration, which adds 2" to the back.  They might be concerned that it'll be tight in the crotch when you're standing up, though.

:unsure:

I saw at a honda dealer by my home a honda suit designed kind of like a roadcrafter. It seemed like it was made for the tall thin types, it would not fit me at all. They originally sold for $300 + bucks but it is on sale now for $175 It was nice but not nearly as durable looking as the aerostitch. (material was a little thinner) but had padding everywhere and a nice belt around the waist for you thinner folks. It looked real nice, red and black with all the honda patches on it. Check with your local dealer.

Archived