Missed something?

Guest khep

I have a 5th gen./1998 and just added the Sargent seat and Givi V46 Topcase. I want to remove the pillion seat and use the area under the cowl for storage of items I hope to never have to use (again), like a tire repair kit and pump. Do I have to cut/break the two center tabs on the cowl in order for it to fit?

The GIVI mounting rails are located where the two center tabs are and will not allow the standard unmodified cowl to fit. Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer
I have a 5th gen./1998 and just added the Sargent seat and Givi V46 Topcase.  I want to remove the pillion seat and use the area under the cowl for storage of items I hope to never have to use (again), like a tire repair kit and pump.  Do I have to cut/break the two center tabs on the cowl in order for it to fit?

The GIVI mounting rails are located where the two center tabs are and will not allow the standard unmodified cowl to fit.  Any suggestions?

Which model Givi rack do you have? I didn't use the cowl when I installed my rack but I think I could have. The rack uses those Frankenbolt holes for mounting but didn't exclude installing the cowl.

I have the GIVI FZ257 top rack. The front of it uses the Franken bolts and the rear attaches to the holes that were previously used for the passenger hand-rails, this is the area that is causing the hassle because it covers the "slots" that the center two cowl tabs fit into.

• Member Contributer
I have the GIVI FZ257 top rack.  The front of it uses the Franken bolts and the rear attaches to the holes that were previously used for the passenger hand-rails, this is the area that is causing the hassle because it covers the "slots" that the center two cowl tabs fit into.

I went and cheked my rack install and now I see what you are talking about. You would have to modify the cowl, drastically, to install with the rack in place.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to check on this. I thought I had lost my mind. I also think it looks sharp w/o the cowl but most of my riding is solo so I thought the extra space would be nice.

• Member Contributer
Thank you for taking the time and effort to check on this.  I thought I had lost my mind.  I also think it looks sharp w/o the cowl but most of my riding is solo so I thought the extra space would be nice.

The "COOL" factor kinda goes away with the rack, especially when you put the luggage on but I have only had mine a couple of weeks and really like the utility that it adds. Sorry for the initial confusion!

Ernie

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to add a top case on my 2000 VFR.

Do you think the Givi FZ257 top rack is strong enough to accommodate a top case with a passenger back rest? I had heard that they are a little flimsy and can't take the weight of a passenger pushing back, long term. Even thinking about making my own.

The Givi website offers no detailed information about the products.

Thanks. :warranty:

• Forum CEO

I found the plastic plate to be suspeptable to wear at the latch. The top box would not latch tight to the plate after a while and it rattled a bit. when I upgraded to a wingrack it came with a solid metal plate that is much better and more secure.

If you carry too much wieght with the other rack it can actually pull the threads out of the front bolts. Mine actually cracked the rear frame, I had to get it welded. I did not like that cheesy rack at all. If you can get a wingrack instead its much better!! You can add side cases later when you can afford them, it much more sturdy!! Its pricy new but perhaps you can find a used wingrack and then just buy new mounting hardware. The same wingrack is used for most Honda models but the mounting hardware is what is different between bikes. You can probably find a wingrack off another bike and then buy the mounting hardware.

:warranty: for the Wingrack. Mine has carried a ton of stuff for me (two E52 side cases loaded with tools, groceries, beer etc.). As far as I can tell though, you will have to make a custom cutout of your seat cowl. You could try doing what the some of the other guys have done to use the grab rails and seat cowl together (do a search on seat cowl).

Archived