Factory Hard Bags

briguy_78

• Member Contributer

Does anybody have any tips on installing the factory hard bags for a 2002? I purchased a set of side bags and the top box from DSS and was hoping to install them soon. There used to be a really good post with pix, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I remember there being some quirks when installing both the side bags and top box at the same time.

Thanks,

Brian

• Member Contributer

I don't really have time to go into detail right now. However, I can tell you to leave everything loose until all bolts are started, then tighten everything up. Also, loosen the passenger peg mounts to make the pannier brackets easier to install.

• Member Contributer
I don't really have time to go into detail right now.  However, I can tell you to leave everything loose until all bolts are started, then tighten everything up.  Also, loosen the passenger peg mounts to make the pannier brackets easier to install.

:goofy:

tbzep is 100000% right on that one!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Three or so years ago I installed mine, and must have been lifting weights too often or something... cause I broke off one of them four bolts that go through the grabrails. It's still in there, and no problems so far with only having three of the four bolts actually installed.

So, if you need to, you could probly just use one bolt per side, for these bolts... just kidding.

Other than that, the instructions should have everything covered, except for.. leave all bolts loose, and then tighten them all once they are all where they need to be. And do not go crazy on the passenger peg drilling. Just a little does it there...

Later

Three or so years ago I installed mine, and must have been lifting weights too often or something... cause I broke off one of them four bolts that go through the grabrails.  It's still in there, and no problems so far with only having three of the four bolts actually installed.

So, if you need to, you could probly just use one bolt per side, for these bolts... just kidding.

Other than that, the instructions should have everything covered, except for.. leave all bolts loose, and then tighten them all once they are all where they need to be.  And do not go crazy on the passenger peg drilling.  Just a little does it there...

Later

I didn't break a bolt, but I think I came close! I definately had one cross-threaded, and ended up re-tapping the hole in the bike. Thank god for my toolbox! :thumbsup:

Archived