Which Sidi boots?

cozye

• Member Contributer

I can't decide. I know I want the vertigo's. I've been looking all winter. I just don't know if the Air's will flow too much, or the regular vertigo's not enough? Honestly, my cold weather riding isn't a lot of hard cornering or aggressive riding, so I'm ok wearing my Alpine Star's hightops. When the temp gets 60-65 and up, I'll be more prone to aggressive riding and I would like to wear the Sidi's then. Are the Air's too cool for 65 degree riding? If marginally so, I could wear extra socks I reckon. I'm sure I'll use them plenty in 85 or 90 degree weather too, so I know I will like the Air's then. If anyone with the Air's can post there comments, I'd appreciate it. Plan on ordering in the next day or two.

• Member Contributer
I can't decide. I know I want the vertigo's. I've been looking all winter. I just don't know if the Air's will flow too much, or the regular vertigo's not enough? Honestly, my cold weather riding isn't a lot of hard cornering or aggressive riding, so I'm ok wearing my Alpine Star's hightops. When the temp gets 60-65 and up, I'll be more prone to aggressive riding and I would like to wear the Sidi's then. Are the Air's too cool for 65 degree riding? If marginally so, I could wear extra socks I reckon. I'm sure I'll use them plenty in 85 or 90 degree weather too, so I know I will like the Air's then. If anyone with the Air's can post there comments, I'd appreciate it. Plan on ordering in the next day or two.

Get one pair of eadh. Then you won't have any problems other then to decide which pair to put on when you leave.

• Member Contributer
Vertigo Corsa's :D

with an aprilla in the garage i understand your choice........................for us that live on a budget i recommend the air 2. i had first bought the alpinestars gortex for warmth and water proof. these were way too warm above 50 degrees and now i where the air 2 year round. (i don't ride in the wet or rain). a couple of shops sell these new on ebay rather cheap, but shop around! :P

• Member Contributer

I had to make that same decision, and went with the non-air. I cannot even remember why, I just know that the SIDI non-air get no complaints from me, 0 to 100 degrees.

Air would be cool though!

• Member Contributer

For hot weather riding the Veritgo Air's are great. I got mine a the end of last summer, and wish I had purchased them sooner!

I think you will find them too cool for temperatures below 65 or so. Also, they are definitely not waterproof. (I generally take along some cheap rubber overboots in my tank bag for wet weather, so this is not much of an issuer for me.)

• Member Contributer

Ok, so the Air's are too cool for below 65?? Would an extra pair of socks help?

Lifesaver, your regular Vertigo's aren't too hot at 90 ? Do they flow some air with the vents ? On warm days I'll be riding with perf leathers, I hate to get too hot.

I don't intend on riding wet either, besides getting caught in the occasional storm. I think it happened to me 3 times last year and I generally look for cover and wait it out if I can.

Guest Wingspan
with an aprilla in the garage i understand your choice........................for us that live on a budget

With all do respect, it has nothing to do with what's in my garage. It's about setting priorities in your budget. I wore the same level boot even when the best bike I could afford was a 10 year old Katana. When I started riding my gear was worth almost as much as my bike. My first set of boots were the Sidi Vertebre Race Carbon (the predecessor to the Vertigo Corsa). When I wrecked my Katana they saved my left foot from what could have been a very serious injury.

You can't really go wrong with any of the boots mentioned in this thread, but if one could manage the expense of the Corsa's they are very nice boots. IMO, the extra protection is worth the extra cost.

• Member Contributer
With all do respect, it has nothing to do with what's in my garage. It's about setting priorities in your budget. I wore the same level boot even when the best bike I could afford was a 10 year old Katana.  When I started riding my gear was worth almost as much as my bike.  My first set of boots were the Sidi Vertebre Race Carbon (the predecessor to the Vertigo Corsa). When I wrecked my Katana they saved my left foot from what could have been a very serious injury. 

You can't really go wrong with any of the boots mentioned in this thread, but if one could manage the expense of the Corsa's they are very nice boots. IMO, the extra protection is worth the extra cost.

So do you have the Corsa's or Corsa Airs? Any thoughts on perf, vs. no perf?

I'm really stepping up to the vertigo's for the reasons you have mentioned. I had started looking at the 200$ level, strada's or something along those lines. I deciced to step up to vertgo race boots because I felt like they would offer extra protection, be more comfortable, and easier shifting (I hate boots really). That said, I don't think my wife could handle me spending $400 on Corsa's, considering I've already spent 1500 on the bike so far in the last 2 months (tunes, pc3, corbin, jet-hot, soon to be perf pants, etc..)

• Member Contributer
Ok, so the Air's are too cool for below 65?? Would an extra pair of socks help?

Lifesaver, your regular Vertigo's aren't too hot at 90 ? Do they flow some air with the vents ? On warm days I'll be riding with perf leathers, I hate to get too hot.

I don't intend on riding wet either, besides getting caught in the occasional storm. I think it happened to me 3 times last year and I generally look for cover and wait it out if I can.

I also have regular Sidi Vertigos, bought them just before winter. I have riden with them in temps up to the high 80s and they were comfortable.

I love my Sidis but, have you seen the new Alpinestar SM-X R boot? There is a completely perforated version. Just another option to consider if you are going with a perforated boot.

http://www.alpinestars.com/s-mxr/

• Member Contributer

Coyze I had the same question when I went looking for more protection. I was considering the Vertigo Air but after posing the same question the responses sent be toward the regular Vertigo's, not the Airs. I've only seen low 70's since I've had them but the side vents on the regulars seem to provide enough ventilation for warmer weather. Wanted someting for more year round riding. Either way, Sidi makes a comfortable boot. They really are a solid choice. Ordered mine through Absolute They discount the Vertigo's & Corsa's when you add them to your cart. (not the Airs' though)

• Member Contributer

I appreciate the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards the regular Vertigo's. My only concern is that they would be too hot, and that doesn't sound like the case so far.

Guest Wingspan
So do you have the Corsa's or Corsa Airs? Any thoughts on perf, vs. no perf?

I have the Corsa's, I don't think the Corsa Air's were available when I bought them. I've never had any heat issues with my boots.

• Member Contributer
Coyze I had the same question when I went looking for more protection. I was considering the Vertigo Air but after posing the same question the responses sent be toward  the regular Vertigo's, not the Airs. I've only seen low 70's since I've had them but the side vents on the regulars seem to provide enough ventilation  for warmer weather. Wanted someting for more year round riding. Either way, Sidi makes a comfortable boot. They really are a solid choice. Ordered mine through Absolute They discount the Vertigo's & Corsa's when you add them to your cart. (not the Airs' though)

Wow, thats a full 50$ cheaper after shipping that NewEnough? Whats up with that? I thought newenough was just as cheap as anyone else?

Also, I'm a 10.5 us in size (never a 10 or 11), looks like I'll be between a 44 and 45 Euro. Anyone else with a 10.5 ? I'm thinking from size charts that a 45 will be the way to go.

• Member Contributer

my bad, its 30$ cheaper, not 50. I was thinking newenough's price was 295, and its actually 275

• Member Contributer

Anyone actually purchase from Absolute? That is quite a bit lower than New Enough. They have Vertigo Corsas for $339 vs New Enough at $395. If I had known about Absolute before I would have gone with the Corsas from them <_<

• Member Contributer

I wear a 45 (10.5). The Sidi's fit more snugly, with a tighter toe box, than my Alpinstar Gps boots. I wear very thin socks under the Vertigo Air's; I don't think heavy socks would work too well to extend the useful temperature range downward.

Around here, the temps are often well above 80, and the Air's are just a lot more comfortable than non-perf boots.

If you are looking for a wide temp range, get the regular Veritgo's. The Air's are definitely more limited in temperature range, but are better for hot weather.

• Member Contributer

I picked up my Vertebra Airs from New Enough and would kill for these boots. I live in Texas so I've worn mine in 105 degrees down to 35 degrees and they work great. I have some thick wool socks I wear when it's cool outside and really thin bicycling socks during the summer. My overpants cover most of the boot so that helps with the cold. I've also covered the vents with electrical tape at times which helps. For rain I bought a pair of boot covers although I haven't tried them yet. They tend to fill up pretty quick in the rain. I couldn't afford two pairs and decided that the majority of my riding would be above 75 degrees so I went with the airs. I wear a size 10 and have wide feet so I wound up with a 45 euro.

• Member Contributer

decisions, decisions. Most of my riding will be above 70, so now I'm leaning back towards the airs. Around here, from mid April to November you get average highs generally 70 or above. I'm starting to think that the airs will feel real good if its 80 or 85 out and im head to toe in perf leather already. I do have some alpine stars I can use when its cooler anyway.

Archived