Michelin Power Race

teleskier

• Member Contributer

Has anyone used the power race tires from Michelin? I am thinking about the medium compound which is actually two compounds, medium in the middle and soft at the edges (like the 2CT in europe)

Curious how you like them and performance of course. perhaps compared to the Pilot Power.

• Member Contributer

Been trying to figure this one out for a little while now. It is a DOT legal race tire, and therefore should be fine on the street. They are supposed to warm quickly, so should be ok for the street. As a track/race tire, the tread doesn't go to the edges of the tire.

Here's where it gets odd, though. I think the Power Race is actually a "track day" tire, much like the older Bridgestone BT012ss is referred to as a track day/ aggressive street tire.

Michelin sells a series of "PR" tires that are intended for racers, and can be bought from few sources. Usually only distributers that cater only to track riders. They have several compounds identified by number. I think it is PR 1, 2, 3 on the front, and PR 4, 5, 6, 7 rear.

As far as comparing to Power street, of course the Power Race should be stickier at temp than the Powers. Even with their claimed faster warm up, could be longer than a dedicated street tire. Also likely to be designed to work at lower cold pressures in order to warm properly.

That being said, I've been racing a little with the Power streets on my F3. Going to the track this weekend, and will probably pick up a set of DOTs from the trackside vendors. Thinking the Pirelli SC or Power Race.

For the street, I rally don't think that the Race is nesessary. Power is a really good tire, that is good enough for the track as well.

Just my opinion, of course.

snip~~ Going to the track this weekend, and will probably pick up a set of DOTs from the trackside vendors.  Thinking the Pirelli SC or Power Race.

For the street, I rally don't think that the Race is nesessary.  Power is a really good tire, that is good enough for the track as well. 

Just my opinion, of course.

FIVE DAYS TO JENNINGS!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!

and, on the subject, tell us what you plan on doing with the bike, and we can help you with your query. I would only run something like the Power Race if I was going to be doing track days on the bike... I run race take-offs on my VFR only because they're free (sorta?)...

gallery_720_32_99322.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Jennings Right

Guest Brakes_and_Blip

I have used the Powers on the track and street and they are great. I think if your using race tires you would only want to use them on the track. You don't want to ride them on the street. Race tires are only good for a few good warm-ups. To many (from street rides) and your tire will be shot. This is one of the reasons they make a better compound for everyday use such as the powers.

• Member Contributer

Oh yeah, guess I should have asked what you were planning for the tires. I guess the real point is that if the Power Street is fine for the track (and it is) than the Power Race isn't really necessary for the street. Unless you're looking for a little bit of "Bling Factor."

For the track, use either. If you feel like you have more confidence with a DOT race, then go with the Power Race.

gallery_913_274_14109.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

CBR F3

Yea, going to Jennings this weekend! :beer:

Michael, are you riding the Yami this weekend?  Bringing the VFR for backup?

Riding with Travis (I don't think you've met him??), he'll have his Mille and his Monster in the truck bed. On my trailer will be my Yamaha, we have to save a space because we're bringing another bike back. I can use Travis' backup if I need too...

I'm in the process of painting race plastic for the Yamaha now... I love the last minute projects... Last year, if you'll recall I had only picked up the Yamaha 3 weeks earlier as a pile of junk... and still made the event... albeit, with a broken clutch pack that would only pull to 7500 rpm... but I made it!!!!!!!! smile.gif

gallery_720_32_20179.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

My new YZF1000R Track bike out for it's first trial at J ...in the rain! <br /><br />We don't need no stinkin' fairings!

gallery_720_32_201275.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Track bike's plastic coming together

Archived