Fork Height--5th & 6th Gen Same?

Trace

Question

On my 2000, I recently raised my forks from 44mm to 49mm, measured from the flat top of the fork to the top of the triple-tree, as per the proper method in the manual. [note....some bikes come from Honda at 39, some maybe at 44, or were moved to 44 by a prior owner or the Honda shop, etc. You should measure yours, and YMMV]

Anyway, as other have marveled, it makes a huge difference in turn-in and tossy-bility (teckyhnical term!) and quickness and nimbleness, even going a mere 5mm from 44 to 49. I've had no head shake or other unpleasantness as a result of this 10 minute mod, up to 150 mph.

The Question Is: Is 49mm the proper number for a 6th? I assume it is, but I've only been tuned-in to 5th Gen numbers, and I'm going to be doing this on another VFRD member's 6th Gen this coming weekend (and/or raising the rear a tad and lower the front a tad less, so he can keep maximum ground clearance without getting the shakes, etc., the peg-scraping bastid!!!).

Thanks.

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer
I as well was just wondering what other 6th gen owners have gone with successfully. For instance, can you go much lower than the stock setting, and if so, roughly how much before the headshake sets in?

I run 49 or 47 mm on my 6th, o6 came off the floor that way, it was not set at 41mm

At least on the 3g (but probably on all of the generations), fork height is not set at the factory, but is done by the dealer that originally sold the bike. So, based on what we all know about how (and by whom...) new bikes are set up at dealerships, I would have to say that whatever your fork height was set at when your new bike was delivered to you is (if in conflict with the Honda Workshop Manual) almost totally irrelevant!

Ciao,

Archived