Controls Adjusting for fit

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

adjust11.jpg

When you first get a bike, or when you replace a control part like a brake lever or foot peg, you must adjust your controls for best placement.

Shift Lever

Here is a picture of my foot on the peg, notice my foot is resting with out straining up or down, to throw the shift lever requires little exertion to accomplish this (never mind my shop shoes they are rags)

adjust01.jpg

Down-shifting

adjust02.jpg

Up-shifting

adjust03.jpg

If you have your foot at an extreme angle like this to shift your bike you must make an adjustment in order to get better control. The foot should not have to flex too much.

adjust04.jpg

The VFR shift lever can be adjusted by removing this bolt and popping the lever off its spline then replacing it in a better position. 8mm bolt

Rear Brake Lever

adjust06.jpg

As you can see here my foot is flexed too far up, this is not comfortable and can lead to unnecessary fatigue or inadvertent brake pad wear.

The adjustment bolt is located in the rear of the footpeg under the brake master cylinder, it has a pinch bolt that allows limited adjustment up or down.

peg04.jpg

By turning the pinch bolt as far in as I could I lowered the brake lever by 1/2 inch, this was as far as it would go but is much better on the foot than before.

adjust07.jpg

adjust08.jpg

Brake and Clutch Levers

Sit on your bike, stretch out your arms, and feel how your wrist is flexed when you extend your fingers to grab the lever. See in the picture below the angle my wrist has to make in order to engage the brake lever.

adjust09.jpg

I placed a yardstick and rested it on the handle bar and the lever and took note of the angle, then compared it to the angle of my arm as I reached for the lever.

adjust10.jpg

An adjustment had to be made so I loosened to 2 8mm bolts that hold the lever and angled the assembly down. There is only so much adjustment that can be done before the assembly binds on something but it was a much better angle.

adjust11.jpg

Now you can see how much closer the 2 planes almost parallel. Now I don?t have to flex my fingers up as much as I did before, this also allows you to use the 4 finger control method, 2 fingers on the brake lever and 2 on the throttle for fine throttle control, if the lever is too far upward that method becomes impossible since your fingers are too far spread apart.

adjust13.jpg

adjust12.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey HS-Thanks for posting this topic especially with the pics. Will be helpful.

:offtopic: I see in a couple of your pics you have metal pins instead of the factory plastic ones holding separate sections of the panels together. I would like to know where you got them & if you use them in every location the plastic ones are. I think I want to get some. I bet they're alot easier to work with than the plastic ones.

Thanks~

Chuck