Right ignition switch for 2001 vfr800?

Jway24

Question

I broke the key off in my ignition so I bought a aftermarket switch on eBay. Long story short it didn’t work so I have replaced everything i possibly can imagine, still doesn’t work. I learned about the zener diode earlier today and realized the ignition switch I bought doesn’t have one. Can anybody point me in the right direction for a switch that is OEM??

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Jway24 said:

I broke the key off in my ignition so I bought a aftermarket switch on eBay. Long story short it didn’t work so I have replaced everything i possibly can imagine, still doesn’t work. I learned about the zener diode earlier today and realized the ignition switch I bought doesn’t have one. Can anybody point me in the right direction for a switch that is OEM??

Doesn't the barrel of the switch separate from the wired base? Couldn't a locksmith help you out, I'm sure they could fish the broken key from your original?

Yes, anti theft function, if you have the Pink wire and zener diode this sends 9v to the ECM to enable it, 12v or Zero = Dead ECM.

I threw away the old ignition like an idiot! I wasn’t thinking the ignition was the problem. I replaced the stator, regulator, kickstand, kill switch, cam shaft sensor, starter relay and fuel cut relay lol. It’s been a headache 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Jway24 said:

I threw away the old ignition like an idiot! I wasn’t thinking the ignition was the problem. I replaced the stator, regulator, kickstand, kill switch, cam shaft sensor, starter relay and fuel cut relay lol. It’s been a headache 

Oh dear! I feel your pain, sounds like you've done a lot of guessing and not much measuring, at least you have some good spares!

Such a shame you tossed the Ignition Switch.

As far as I know that zener diode security function wasn't on Australian bikes. Either our American friends might be able to advise on a replacement, Or a bit of clever wiring to the standard three wire switch adding the appropriate 3.9v zener diode to the Pink wire and other end to the Red/black IG 12v Switched wire(zener diode polarity needs to be correct). As mentioned you need to get 9v on the Pink wire to enable the ECM. See attached. Get some advice from a good Technician on the best way to do this if you are unsure.

The symptoms for this device Not working is - Fi Light fully On, and No Fuel Pump prime. 

Good luck.

IgSwitDiode6s.png.31e638134de792731d1da0b93ad64e7b.png

• Member Contributer

If you are still in need of an ignition, I have a 3 piece set, Ignition, gas cap and helmet lock/seat release, meaning one key for all three. Not sure what year it's from but I can look into it and see if I can get something off of it to tell for sure. Maybe you can take a picture of the connector end of the ignition wire, so I can see what the connector looks like.