2014 vfr800 steel braided brake line

• Member Contributer

You can indeed just change the fronts and leave the rear with the original rubber lines. In fact getting at the connectors under the seat area for the rear brake lines on the 8 Gen is a royal pain in the arse.

I did post about changing the fronts a little while back. I will try to find it for you.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Well I can't seem to find my post about the job. Nevertheless, from memory:

Make sure you have the correct 10mm flare nut spanner for the hard line connectors. A flexible end spanner makes getting at the joints near the steering head easier. On no account try to use a standard or adjustable spanner as the nuts will just round off.

Look inside the new connectors to check there's no swarf left from manufacture. There was in mine and would have really messed things up if I'd not cleaned it out.

The braided lines are very stiff so you need to assemble everything loosely and turn the handlebars a couple of times to get everything set before you tighten up.

The run over the mudguard to the LH caliper created a high spot that can make bleeding the circuit difficult. I got around this by taking the LH caliper off and holding it up on the RH side of the bike to bleed that bit of the run.

You may need to get inventive for the line mount on the RHS of the mudguard of you want the line to stand proud of the guard and not wear through the paint. I'll take photo of what I did and post it here in a while.

You might want to consider whether a good clean of the calipers, pistons and replacement seals are worth it while you've got everything apart. Stainless steel bleed nipples are a good idea as well- either standard or speed bleeder type.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I have done the fronts and the rear caliper line, on my RC79. It all works ok. Presson is on the money, with the lines connecting to the ABS unit. It was way to hard for me. The braided lines look “trick” but I can’t say that there has been a very significant improvement in brake performance.

• Member Contributer

For some reason I am unable to upload a photo today. For the brake line mount on the RHS of the mudguard, I used a longer bolt and a 8-10mm section of aluminium or brass tubing to stand the line away from the plastic. The original clip for the ABS line was reused but bent slightly so the ABS line rubber grommet is held by the clip on the outside and pressed against the new line 3 way connector on the inner side. 

Hope all that helps.

• Member Contributer

Here's the link to my efforts. The result photos and points to note are towards the bottom of the thread .

• Member Contributer

Hey VFR78, any thoughts or pointers on installing the rear lines on your 8Gen? When I looked, it seemed to require taking half the rear end apart and I thus thought I'd rather be riding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 4/14/2024 at 8:40 PM, Presson said:

Hey VFR78, any thoughts or pointers on installing the rear lines on your 8Gen? When I looked, it seemed to require taking half the rear end apart and I thus thought I'd rather be riding.

Sorry for the late reply Presson. I’ve been sick as a dog after a 24 hour flight home from the UK. It does require taking half of your motorcycle apart, to get to all of the rear lines, so I didn’t do it. Like you, I prefer riding. There is a small section of rubber line, down at the rear caliper, and it’s easily replaced without much faff, so that is all I did. A bit slack of me!

• Thanks 1