2000 VFR800 fuel pump no power

• Member Contributer

Dude I didn't know the man from the forum he posted the motorcycle on the Facebook marketplace. I didn't realize that was his post. I saw it then when I looked closer then noticed his garage. He didn't know what was wrong and said he bought another ECU and it fried. I have learned to do my due diligence. I have an ECU on the way and should have it on Wednesday. The guy is cool so no worries. I found a missing relay in the headlight area and installed a new one still no fix.

• Member Contributer

Granny sucking eggs moment here, but please check your wiring to the starter before you plug in the new ECM! Grum's first couple of posts should see you right.

Good luck

• Member Contributer

Make sure it is connected correctly and not jumpered; do not allow the 12v Black/White wire power to the Brown/Black wire as this Will destroy your ECM? ( Grum's 2 April post).

Good luck!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 4/4/2024 at 9:00 PM, Grum said:

So the Ground block "looks good"! Did you happen to measure the two genuine Ground wires I mentioned within the block to ensure they are Properly Grounded?

Have you checked the frame Grounds I mentioned?

My last suggestions on your issue, I'm running out of ideas.............

1. MEASURE the ECM Grounds I've mentioned! A9 and A20 both Green/Pink wires AND B1 a Green wire. Unplug the ECM connectors, set you meter to the lowest Ohms range Black lead on the Battery Negative (Not Frame) probe these wires at the ECM connector. DO YOU READ ZERO OHMS?????? Refer to the attached partial wiring diagram and the ECM plug layout picture.   All tested god .3 ohms but I think that might just be my meter

2. Verify you have Solid 12v at the Black/White wire at the ECM plug B8 Ignition to ON. Yes batter voltage 11.79V

3. Check all ECM Pins and sockets for any sign of corrosion or oxidization due to moisture ingress. All look clean thight I could find

4. Verify you have continuity/Zero Ohms on the FCR Ground wire Brown/Black from the ECM A5 to the FCR Relay Base. Yes .3 ohms

5. Unplug one of the Sensors, be that the MAP, IAT, BARO or ECT. Turn on ignition, have the Sidestand DOWN. Does the ECM issue the appropriate Diagnostic Code for the sensor? If NOT this is further evidence your ECM could be toast. 

6. If all Grounds, Power and wire continuity are tested as OK. Then there is a high probability your ECM is toast.  I have an ECU comming in today!

INFO - As complex as the ECM is it is an incredibly reliable device. Generally it's Grounds, Power Supply, Sensors or wiring and connections that are at fault, rarely the ECM itself. Destroyed ECM's that I'm aware of have been caused by Overvoltage from a faulty R/R and the self induced incorrect jumpering of the FCR relay for Fuel Pump ops and Flow testing. Incorrectly placing 12v from the Black/White to the ECM grounding wire Brown/Black causing a dead short taking out the ECM.                                              Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck and Happy Fault Finding!

20240405_081640.jpg

20240405_075505.jpg