Trouble installing Galfer steel brake lines

frostypupil

Question

I have 04 vfr800 non abs. I replaced the stock brake lines with galfer steel braided lines. The installation has gone well until I try to put the banjo bolt into the proportional control valve (the line that runs from the rear caliper to the PCV). It leaks from the washer between the banjo and pcv no matter how much I tighten it. It gets to the point where it strips the threads of the PCV. The galfer installation manual says it has a torque spec of 15-17 ft/lbs but the service manual doesn't have a torque spec. It never tightens down by ratchet or with torque wrench and keeps spinning, which causes the threads to strip. Ive tried using the stock banjo bolt and the new one from the kit. I already went through 2 PCV units and not trying to mess it up again. Im going to see if the stock washers make a difference on the next attempt but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything else incorrectly. Anyone else have issues with the same or similar installation? I appreciate the help!

Extra context: The front left brake caliper was refilled properly with brake fluid and had no leaks, so I know it should work. I noticed the leak when trying to fill the rear line with fluid. 

04 vfr800 pcv.jpg

04 vfr800 pcv stripped.jpg

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, frostypupil said:

It leaks from the washer between the banjo and pcv no matter how much I tighten it. 

Ive tried using the stock banjo bolt and the new one from the kit.

You keep saying "banjo".  Do you really mean that?  Cuz that hole (and internal fitting style) doesn't take a banjo bolt and crush washer(s).

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

You keep saying "banjo".  Do you really mean that?  Cuz that hole (and internal fitting style) doesn't take a banjo bolt and crush washer(

As always, Captain is correct! Not a banjo!

4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

You keep saying "banjo".  Do you really mean that?  Cuz that hole (and internal fitting style) doesn't take a banjo bolt and crush washer(s).

that would make a lot of sense xD. I was doing this project with my brother and he took care of the rear lines so I think we installed them incorrectly. Im going to go back and double check everything to make sure we do it right. Thank you!

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, frostypupil said:

I was doing this project with my brother and he took care of the rear lines so I KNOW he installed them incorrectly.

Fixed it for ya.

Cheers!

• Haha 4