Baby needs her wings

tsmitty

• Member Contributer

Crap! This shit's starting to get real. Will I have to drain the tank to get into that petcock cavity? Plug the top hole and take the escutcheon ring off petcock? Valve stays in place? 

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, tsmitty said:

Crap! This shit's starting to get real. Will I have to drain the tank to get into that petcock cavity? Plug the top hole and take the escutcheon ring off petcock? Valve stays in place? 

Valve could stay in place masked.  Is this a new valve (and/or oring gasket)?   If I was spending that much time, money and stress I would be DAMN sure that the petcock wasn't gonna leak and destroy some of my work, money, stress.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Captain 80s said:

Is this a new valve (and/or oring gasket)?

Yeah...Cap there's a new valve setting out in the drawer.... haha 

What primer will I be using?

What am I using to scuff the paint?

I'll start picking some of this stuff up. 

So glad I started this thread.  Thanks Dude.

• Member Contributer

Duplicolor has a good automotive primer in a can that I've used.

Probably 1500 to 2000.  There might be a 3M pad made for that as well.  You want to knock the shine off, remove small imperfections and give the clear something to "grab" to.  It's so fine the graphics will adhere no problem.

You might need to repeat the primer-sand process a couple times in that petcock area and fair out your sanding to get the transition as smooth as possible.  Everything "shows".

No need to worry about pin-striping type masking tape for visible mask lines, the line will be hidden by the graphics.

I would find a suitable piece of old body work and go thru all the steps and practice your technique.  Duplicolor now sells a 1K clear (1 part) that isn't as expensive but should "act" like spraying a 2K.  But I would def use 2K on the actual tank and graphics.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I have a wishlist going on Amazon. So I'll pull the tank and drain. start collecting supplies. I'll be pulling the plastic today or tomorrow to help me form some kind of mounting bracket of my temp gauge project. (kind-a-think its going to look bad ass)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a couple blemishes on the blue portion of the tank, one is a scrape that has been worked smooth. (really not stressing about too much, the other is a small group of grooves at what would be the left control impact area, that area has some bondo (you can get a magnet to want to stick) . The grooves have been painted over and are not noticeable but if the decal goes over it, it will want to puncture. Here is a picture will you compare on your bike when yogurt time? Thanks

image.thumb.jpeg.ce1f8d711056e86c13fa0947ecf22fca.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.48316a9549613e611b3e1649a5e5dd5e.jpeg

and the scratch

image.thumb.jpeg.6e28d11e7d4a203bce1e7fe545b44248.jpeg