Clutch RPM problems

This may be a dumb question but I can’t seem to find a solid answer. I have a 2015 year model and noticed that when pulling in the clutch it disengages but the RPM’s will drop only partly, but not all the way. If pulled to the handlebar it lowers to the same idle speed as neutral. It’s just enough to cause the bike to overheat from the idle being so high when stationary. I’ve played with the lever pre-set distances and flushed and replaced the fluids a few months back. Is this normal? I saw something somewhere that Honda did this as an assistant to help starting to move from a stop and prevent stalling, but is there a way to adjust it if true? I was looking at buying aftermarket levers to see if they’d help but don’t want to spend the $300 on them if it changes nothing. Thank you for any help or suggestions.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Flister said:

This may be a dumb question but I can’t seem to find a solid answer. I have a 2015 year model and noticed that when pulling in the clutch it disengages but the RPM’s will drop only partly, but not all the way. If pulled to the handlebar it lowers to the same idle speed as neutral. It’s just enough to cause the bike to overheat from the idle being so high when stationary. I’ve played with the lever pre-set distances and flushed and replaced the fluids a few months back. Is this normal? I saw something somewhere that Honda did this as an assistant to help starting to move from a stop and prevent stalling, but is there a way to adjust it if true? I was looking at buying aftermarket levers to see if they’d help but don’t want to spend the $300 on them if it changes nothing. Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Firstly, make sure your warm engine idle is set to 1200rpm. The idle speed adjustment knob is just forward and above the clutch slave cylinder.

And yes, there is the launch assit function that increases rpm with clutch release when in gear. With a warm engine this is approximately 250rpm, with a cold engine it can be higher. Under normal conditions the function should be almost unnoticeable.

Might also be worth confirming the clutch switch operation (both electrically and mechanically) you need to be sure that with clutch pulled in you hear the switch click well before the handlebar. Just checked my 8gen and this happens at around 60% of lever travel, clutch lever setting at 4.

Perhaps it's your clutch technique of not pulling the clutch lever in far enough to activate the clutch switch? For a few good reasons, clutch should be fully pulled in from a stationary start!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:01 PM, Grum said:

Firstly, make sure your warm engine idle is set to 1200rpm. The idle speed adjustment knob is just forward and above the clutch slave cylinder.

And yes, there is the launch assit function that increases rpm with clutch release when in gear. With a warm engine this is approximately 250rpm, with a cold engine it can be higher. Under normal conditions the function should be almost unnoticeable.

Might also be worth confirming the clutch switch operation (both electrically and mechanically) you need to be sure that with clutch pulled in you hear the switch click well before the handlebar. Just checked my 8gen and this happens at around 60% of lever travel, clutch lever setting at 4.

Perhaps it's your clutch technique of not pulling the clutch lever in far enough to activate the clutch switch? For a few good reasons, clutch should be fully pulled in from a stationary start!

Holy crap thanks for the heads up on the warm idle. It was set at 2000rpm which I thought was normal. The first owner was a Motorcycle CHP and had it serviced by his department so it makes sense it wasn’t adjusted at first service but I didn’t doubt any of the service done. The assist is weird because it doesn’t disengage unless I literally have the lever touching the grip. So I have to grip the lever with all 4 fingers because any on the grip still block the lever from fully being pulled, which isn’t right. The switch is perfect activating at ~55% like it should. It’s funky because it’s good practice to not grip levers with all finger, but Honda kinda cucked us with that. ASV levers may give a good enough angle to make it engage but im not sure.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Flister said:

Holy crap thanks for the heads up on the warm idle. It was set at 2000rpm which I thought was normal. The first owner was a Motorcycle CHP and had it serviced by his department so it makes sense it wasn’t adjusted at first service but I didn’t doubt any of the service done. The assist is weird because it doesn’t disengage unless I literally have the lever touching the grip. So I have to grip the lever with all 4 fingers because any on the grip still block the lever from fully being pulled, which isn’t right. The switch is perfect activating at ~55% like it should. It’s funky because it’s good practice to not grip levers with all finger, but Honda kinda cucked us with that. ASV levers may give a good enough angle to make it engage but im not sure.

Getting your warm engine idle back to 1200rpm will make a big difference. I guess I wouldn't trust any CHP service dept. used to working on Harley Electra Glides to work on a VFR!

Change your clutch technique....From a stationary position going from neutral to in gear with some vague partial pull in of the clutch is a BAD technique!!!

If you use all fingers on the clutch and pull it in fully this is the best option. You will minimize the chance of a forward jolt when going from neutral to in gear, minimize clutch drag and clutch wear as you were probably within the friction zone, lessen any load on the engine possibly keeping it cooler while stationary, and the launch assit function should work well and consistently from the fully pulled in position. However once on the move can revert to any clutch method you like!

Be wary, some aftemarket levers don't trigger the clutch switch properly and have caused issues.

I trust you have NO problems with In Gear engine starting Sidestand Up. This is another indication that the clutch switch is working......or not.

Personally I have no issues with the launch assit function, it's bearly noticeable and works well. I've not seen or heard a bad report about it, mostly it's owners just observing that it's there and curious about the rpm increase on clutch release in gear.