Third Gen water pipe coolant leak

Hi Guys! New to the forum and seeking help.

I have a '92 VFR that I believe has a leaky pipe. I believe it to be a leaky O-ring on the water pipe that goes across the bike. On the attached diagram, it should be the parts labelled 9. I have found one thread that talked about the part that needed replacing, but not how to get to it. I'm decent with cars but a little new to bikes and I'm not sure what the best way to get to the pipe would be. If anyone could tell me where some good bolts to turn are or a youtube video showing how, I would greatly appreciate it! I've looked all over this forum and youtube and couldn't figure out how.

Thanks for any help!

Screenshot 2023-12-14 23.19.26.png

• Member Contributer

The O rings on my 89 were in pieces and like wood, so you’re probably correct 

Remove the bolts #14/16 and the assembly will lift off, you should change the other O rings while you’re that deep in the engine, #10 will fall apart when you pull it apart 

Thanks man! I kinda figured those were the bolts to take off, but do you have any advice on how to get to that assembly from the fully assembled bike? I've only taken off the seat, gas tank, and air filter. Not sure where to go from here to get to it.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dnasty said:

do you have any advice on how to get to that assembly from the fully assembled bike? Not sure where to go from here to get to it.

Download the Service Manual and find out.

1990 - 1997 VFR750F Honda Service Manual

Update: Thanks for the help guys!

I got the bike put back together and got the bike started back up. No more coolant leak. It is having a hard time running now though, but I assume because of the cold. It will die if the throttle goes above idle and seems like it just won't warm up. It's about 45 Fahrenheit where I am at. Does this bike usually have starting issues in the cold?

• Member Contributer

So in 24 hours you diagnosed the problem, ordered the parts, learned how to get to the problem, received the parts, and put it back together?

• Like 1

Yep! I had the o-rings that I needed already shipping in because I knew where the leak was coming from, but I didn't know how to the pipe. I ended up being able to pull the connection out from the side though. It worked pretty well.

This bike has always had some issues with cold starting and warming up but it hadn't acted like this before because I've rode it in this weather. but I'm trying to figure out how to get it to be smoother on starting. Could exhaust compression matter for any reason?

• Member Contributer

You probably should have pulled carbs so you could replace all the coolant system orings and go thru the carbs, which it really sounds like it needs.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Dnasty said:

I'll pull the carbs and clean up the o-rings. The carbs were allegedly cleaned by the guy who had it before me, but I'll double check that. Thanks for the help!

I really think that's a good plan.  You will never have to worry about the cooling o-rings again and you will know for sure the carbs are good. Then you can confidently move on to other things if you still have some symptoms.

About 1% of "the guy"s out there can do a proper carb clean and setup on a V4, but you never know. 

Also, I have part numbers for the all the cooling system o-rings in FKM/Viton from a vendor I have used over a dozen times at pennies on the dollar if you want.   Also for the carbs.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help guys! got it running last night. A little embarrassing, but my issue was that I forgot to turn the valve back on lol

It's still a little unhappy with cold starts, but it runs and stays on the second or third try.

Thanks so much for the help again guys!