Innov k3 front rear camera system

Hondamike

Thinking of getting innov k3 cameras for 8th gen VFR 800

Looking for advice help on how to fit cameras to bike don’t really want to go drilling holes in fairings or anything 

Any idea if attaching cameras with 3m sticky pads would be safe and secure enough 

TIA 

• Member Contributer

Attached mine under the nose,  I drilled the black panel after removing it.  Tried various sticky solutions to no effect and a few brackets (on mirror stems) but they looked crap.

Hi. I bought, a few years ago, an Apeman A79 4k camera. Couldnt afford a GoPro - plus was never sure about jumping in buying the most expensive item, if i seldom use these toys. Came in a box full of nice quality fittings (identical to all other brands it appears) and was my first and only camera.

I did use it a reasonable amount, but less so now cos of the data it uses up [mb space] and the time to edit and process the data. I will use it more when i tour, no doubt as it is good.

In terms of adhesion, the 3M tape seems ok - for mid-to-low speeds- even the sound quality is ok - but like you, my concern is higher speeds (but at speed, the sound is crap!). Plus i found vibration an issue at speed. (no so with GoPro it seems??? Or maybe i'm riding tooo fast!).

I have mounted on the front screen in the past, using the 3m tape, but i always surround that with duck tape too!! just dont want it coming off . Regrettably the screen buffets too much so the film quality suffers.

I tried the lower side fairing good, but it's always low shots, not giving the full picture [plus it's only one side! not good there either]. again extra duck tape for security.

Getting remnants of glue off afterwards, can be an issue to bear in mind.

I found helmet cam to be the best position. I'm hoping to attach a pic of one of my helmets now, for you, with the blank camera housing on it. Just by the black vent opening and doesn't interfere. Zoom in and you'll see it has added black tape all around it to deflect the wind and 'keep it it in place!' (it obviously has a 3M base which you cant see).  It works very well and less vibration, resulting in better quality productions. (gives me peace of mind at any speed)

At the same time i bought the blue TELESIN fittings for jacket and chin usage. Quite good. The jacket fitting has a good strong clip [dont put it on your nose!!! lol]. but jacket pockets or zip openings for contact places, tend to move about too much resulting in vibration of recording. The chin fitting i find works better resulting in nice recordings as it follows your head movements.

IMHO, for what it's worth, use a little extra tape and you'll be fine.

hope that helps 🙂

IMG_4687.JPG

• Member Contributer

Interesting post. 

Many use 3M tape for the GoPro at the track (180MPH+) without issue...so wonder why it doesn't work for you. 

I'd think long and hard about putting it on your helmet. you don't want your head/neck to be cocked in a crash. We don't allow them on the track for that reason, and the street has a LOT more things to catch on it. 

Thnx bmart. Then i stand corrected! Could well be that as my camera is a cheaper version than Gopro, the tape is NOT 3M, but a copy!

Just checked and it is coming off after 12 months! Cheap crap. So i have taken it off [for now]. The tape is no longer tacky at all! just as well i had my own tape to hold it on otherwise i'd have lost it by now! Good thing we are even talking about this, as it made me check closer...

Hopefully others will now too!

No 180+ for me thanks.... i dont have anything that fast [thankfully, haha]. And no accessories at that speed either.

On the point of crashes, i agree we all need to watch what we add and where we we add aftermarket stuff.

But as far as my lid goes, it may sound strange, but I'm very comfortable with it there [many attach it to the side of helmet i see], but a crash of this nature is unlikely to happen (in my particular case), the camera would not restrict anything, as it would snap off long before critical impact stages (thin plastic too).

Unlikely cos of these reasons..i have several lids, plus I only ride part time (dry mostly), roads aren't congested here, lots of countryside [visibility and roadcraft is good, plus I'm not one for high speeds any more, nor 100+ recordings! not had an 'off' since.....dunno, 40+ years maybe [former instructor, etc...] so in all, it's unlikely to happen...but that's what the word 'accident' means, i know!  I did say, in may case :)

Each of us has to calculate many risk factors for any accessories and their location (incl. roads, equipment, riding styles, after market accessories, traffic, 'other numptie' factors! etc].

I was in my car the other week and from a distance saw a chap with his bulky cargo/gear badly hanging of his pillion seat over to one side - a few rubber bungies only by the look of it!  How and why do some bikers do that and not check cargo frequently? Shame! Hope he got home ok,...