VFR800 LCD Display replacement part

Hey kids.
I've got some damage on my LCD Display ( looks like its melted, makes it hard to read )
I'm wondering if the LCD display on my 1998 VFR800fi is a replaceable part.
or will have to buy a generic LCD display and solder it on.

360156519_643525744384397_9190817710038065484_n.jpg

358829934_775342804273918_7833914592525199653_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

Do a search for LCD Polarizing Film, there's lots out there.

You might be able to remove/unstick the front film and replace it. Haven't done it but it would be worth a try 

Good Luck

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I was do it last year(replace LCD Polarizing Film), first time is replace the front film, but the results are not very good. Because the film behind it has melted. So, replace the film behind the LCD....

After replacing the film, I realized that I could only see it at night because the maintenance was done outdoors in the evening. Later, I had to replace it again, but this time I applied it at a 90-degree angle so that it can be seen during both daytime and nighttime. However, my LCD has other issues....

The left hand side of photo is behind the LCD, right hand side is front of LCD. Buy from taobao.

20231006_084919.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 7/12/2023 at 12:29 AM, Grum said:

Do a search for LCD Polarizing Film, there's lots out there.

You might be able to remove/unstick the front film and replace it. Haven't done it but it would be worth a try 

Good Luck

On 7/12/2023 at 7:14 PM, VFRnewrider said:

I looked into that. that might just be my issue!
hell of a job if it goes wrong. i might just squint so i can see my gauges :goofy: 

I agree with Grum, that damage looks like just the polarizing film to me. The factory applied film is just stuck down with adhesive over the glass LCD screen, which I bet is fine under there. When I modified mine I was able to remove the film fairly easily, then cleaned the glass with glass cleaner/goo gone/etc., and then installed the new film at 90deg rotation. It seemed daunting at first (sensitive electronics don't agree wth my gorilla fingers and smash-all tendencies), but once I got going it was all pretty easy and straightforward. It doesn't look like I took any pics of the process, but here is the end result: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pl76rhgm9vg5ux/dash.jpg?dl=0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, alexoclock said:

Hi adkfinn, I really like what you've done with the lcd there. I just wanted to know, did you take the metal bezel off and peel the whole front polarizer or score round the inside edge with a blade and peel that? 

I believe I took the metal off as I definitely replaced the entire film from edge to edge. I think that metal piece kind of clips behind the unit on the sides where the little arms go into the board. Can you lift the whole board out from the white housing to see the back side? Sorry for the highly technical lingo, you caught me in the middle of happy hour, cheers!

12 hours ago, adkfinn said:

I believe I took the metal off as I definitely replaced the entire film from edge to edge. I think that metal piece kind of clips behind the unit on the sides where the little arms go into the board. Can you lift the whole board out from the white housing to see the back side? Sorry for the highly technical lingo, you caught me in the middle of happy hour, cheers!

Thanks for that. I haven't got the dials out yet, but I've a couple of bulbs gone in the panel so thought I'd do the LCD 'upgrade' whilst I had the front off (adding a voltmeter across the +12V to the panel as well). I bought some adhesive polarized filter, but I'm slightly concerned that the LCD has a second filter at the back, because when I turn the new filter to block the backlight, the digits stay dark, so it's just a black screen. you only did the front side filter right?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, alexoclock said:

Thanks for that. I haven't got the dials out yet, but I've a couple of bulbs gone in the panel so thought I'd do the LCD 'upgrade' whilst I had the front off (adding a voltmeter across the +12V to the panel as well). I bought some adhesive polarized filter, but I'm slightly concerned that the LCD has a second filter at the back, because when I turn the new filter to block the backlight, the digits stay dark, so it's just a black screen. you only did the front side filter right?

Yes, I believe I only removed the factory film from the front only.