Buying a VFR1200 without the drive shaft recall completed

• Member Contributer

To the OP - if you want to be safe, put the bike on the sidestand and remove the fill plug for the gear fluid fill port.  Filling the gear fluid is the last step in the recall process.  It seems many dealers mistakenly filled the bike when it was straight upright and not on the sidestand.  Doing so would result in an overfill.  You will know if they did overfill if gear fluid runs out after you open the fill port.  Just letting it all run out and then retightening the cap would fix the issue.  Careful with overtightening the cap - the recommended torque is unbelievably low.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I am just having my drive shaft replaced as per the recall, as the guy before me bought it in the USA and did not have it completed.  Not to much to it as i called Honda USA and they had me check the ser # , they contacted my local dealer to arrange a time to have it inspected. The recall number is 15V-821

My dealer expects the parts will be here this month and a day or so to change it out.

For info, I am the OP. I removed my driveshaft to grease the splines at either end. It's a relatively easy job. I did write it up and post it but not on this site. I can if anyone is interested.

I did it because as an ex FJR owner we were all obsessed with driveshaft splines.

The recall instructions give a Honda mechanic just over an hour to do a DCT. Took me a smidge longer than that but I can see how it could be done in that time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 7:22 PM, jeremyr62 said:

I live in Ireland. I had a manual blue 2012 VFR1200 in 2015 for only 9 months. I hated it back then and couldn't wait to sell it. However time heals and what with this dude Sabsteef flashing the ECU and supposedly transforming the bike I am contemplating giving it another chance. The main reason is I like DCT , but can't get past the looks of the new NT1100. I have a NC750S with DCT but 50 odd hp doesn't really cut the mustard. So a VFR1200 with DCT and a flashed ECU would fit my use case. 

The big but is most of the bikes for sale in Ireland haven't had the recall done. I put this down to the absence of main Honda Dealers in Ireland. 

How big a deal is this? I assume the bikes for sale are riding just fine. 

Does anyone know what the actual part of the drive shaft that fails is and can it be prevented by maintenance?

If I knew how much it cost to get it done I could negotiate the price of the bike down to reflect this (although the seller could just tell me to go whistle). 

I wouldn't know where to start to find out how to get the recall done in Ireland.

Lee Honda in Cork will sort it for you. 

https://www.leehondacentre.com

Archived