Compatible Left-Hand Switches (4Th Gen)?

• Member Contributer

Hi folks,

First, if I'm overlooking an obvious thread or online source, please point me to it.

I need to replace the left-hand switchgear unit for my US-model 1994 VFR750F - a 4th gen. (The local mechanic confirmed my initial prognosis - that's why my turn signals don't work.)

However, the local shop also told me that part is discontinued / unavailable.

I am checking on a couple of used parts on ebay.

However, if one of those does not pan out, is there another year and/or model with a compatible left-hand switchgear pod for a 4th gen?

Thanks!

Ron

• Member Contributer

I might just be spewing junk here but take a look at the following two links. Both are parts fiche from Partzilla.com

This one shows the left handlebar switch for a 94-97 VFR750

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1994/VFR750F+AC/SWITCHES+%2B+CABLES/parts.html

This one shows the left handlebar switch assembly for a 98-99 VFR800

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1998/VFR800FI+AC/HANDLE+SWITCH/parts.html

Call me crazy but with the possible exception of the fact that the choke cable length being different for the 94-97 VFR versus the length of the enrichment lever cable on the 98-99 VFR, the two parts do look very similar. I would check with a local Honda motorcycle dealer and see if they are compatible, BUT...............

I did notice that both parts list the exact same part number for the choke lever, though one does have three connectors on the pigtail and the other has 2 connectors. Perhaps the parts on one could be switched to get your handlebar switch working.

• Member Contributer

With a little wiring work I'd bet the 5th gen controls could be made to work.

But I'm lazy and I'd scour ebay for the best looking used or with luck a nos 4th gen.

Partzilla says it's unavailable and I believe them, but other part sources list it for various prices and say it's available.

I'd call around to them to confirm whether or not they can source it for you.

Now that I know it's obsolete, I'll be watching for a nice one too!

• Member Contributer

I did notice that both parts list the exact same part number for the choke lever, though one does have three connectors on the pigtail and the other has 2 connectors. Perhaps the parts on one could be switched to get your handlebar switch working

^^^ This.

Pretty much any honda switchgear that has the same outside appearance (probably any honda sport bike before 2008 or so) will work to the best of my knowledge, and your old choke lever can be swapped in (the bikes without choke levers and the same looking switchgear just have a circular filler without the choke lever). However, the wiring may have different connectors that need adapting. Also… I swapped a 2006 CBR100RR switch housing onto my bike but needed to swap the headlight hi/lo switch from my old housing into the new housing because one operated with 2 wires and one with 3.

Easiest solution… buy similar looking unit off ebay and swap turn signal switch from one housing to the other, splice wires into stock harness before connector if needed.

Hope that helps… I think the information should be correct :)

• Member Contributer

your mechanic is a MORON!!!!

did he say he can clean up the contacts? soldier up the wires?

i mean i have seen wrecked ones work..

he didn't say WHY its not working??

DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL FROM THE DOWNLOADS SECTION ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

open that sucker up!!

LOOK in there!

see whats going on. its such a simple piece of hardware to work with.

buy a cheap multimeter and test the wires..

Archived