Flaky Temperature gauge

604RC46

2004 model.

Temperature gauge seems to be acting up.  The bike warms up and the initial reading is 46C.  Normal riding is typically anywhere in the low 80-82C range.  Sitting in traffic on a hot day and temps reach 100-102C.  Cooling fan comes on as it should.  However...my issue is that sometimes the gauge drops all the way down to 35C and then jumps back to the 70C range..especially if i have been on the bike for awhile.  I'm wondering if the gauge fluctuation can cause the cooling fan to shut off unecessarily.  Exhaust is kinda loud and I can't typically hear the fan.

Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

Temp gauge sensor is located in the vee of the engine and has noting to do with the operation of the cooling fan. To get to the temp sensor will require the removal of the throttle bodies.  The cooling fan is switched via a Thermo sensor located in the secondary radiator. 

With the the symptoms you are experiencing I would first check coolant level then look at the electrical connector at the gauges and then the electrical connection at the sensor in the vee of the engine. You may have a loose connection that amplifies itself once the engine has got hot and the vibration of you riding may cause an intermittent contact. 

WRT your loud exhaust and not hearing the fan, I have fitted a small LED on the gauge binacle so I can see when the fan is operating regardless of the engine noise. I have Staintunes fitted and I have trouble hearing anything except the purr of a V4😁

Archived