Ceramic coating factory headers

adkfinn

• Member Contributer

Hey gang, 

I am planning to have my factory headers ceramic coated as a part of the refresh of my '98 5th Gen. There appear to be some decent shops within a few hours driving distance from me. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Is Cerakote brand worth seeking out over non-branded coatings?

My thought was to get something as smooth and close to chrome look as possible (similar to Cerakote Glacier Silver). I may end up wrapping the upper rear sections to cut down some of the heat like others have done. Any thoughts?

So far I have been quoted $250 to media blast and coat them. Pics of the headers are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uN2y9YJAhresEE4X9 Does this sound like market price given the condition of my headers or should I be expanding my search for vendors? All input is welcome, thanks. 

• Member Contributer

Brief update for those following along:

Best quote received - $250 for media blasting, Cerakote Glacier Chrome, and tumbling to polish after baking. 

In the end I decided to save the money and do them myself, with my thinking being that I will save my money for when one of these mythical aftermarket performance headers come out for my '98. So, into the sandblast cabinet they went. I used VHT Flame Proof primer, paint, and clear coat. I've used the primer and paint before with decent results. My prep was much more thorough this time so I am optimistic about the results. I blasted, prepped, and painted them on Sunday. My paint setup sucks if I am honest, and rattle can isn't the best, but it gets the job done for now. I basically hang the parts in the doorway of my barn and spray away. I'll upload some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Total cost - $40 in paint, $10 cash after returning some old batteries for credit.

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, FJ12Ryder said:

They look pretty sharp. Nice job.

Thanks for the kind words. I would call them 'good enough'. As stated earlier in the thread, my painting setup is crapola, and I wasn't really very concerned about runs or even a few finger prints (as you see). My goal here was to clean them up and get them coated to preserve and prevent further corrosion, which I think I've done. Also, for a $12 investment I won't feel conflicted about pulling the trigger on a performance replacement (if one ever makes it to market). Had I just spent $250 on ceramic coating I wouldn't be feeling so inclined.