Stuck stator cover

MikeBuk

Hi all, got all eight screws out, have sprayed penetrating wd40 all over the cover, have hit it with a rubber mallet multiple times in various places, got plastic trim tools and tried to get them into something but not use, it's not moved an millimetre no matter what I seem to do, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

It is held by the magnet inside.  There is a tab you can use to pry it off.  Look carefully around.  Also, if you grab it with two hands, you should be able to turn it a little.  It it turns, just use a bit more force to just pull it away.

It is held by the magnet inside.  There is a tab you can use to pry it off.  Look carefully around.  Also, if you grab it with two hands, you should be able to turn it a little.  It it turns, just use a bit more force to just pull it away.

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow, any idea where on the cover the tab is, save me pulling at the wrong bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Mike, Is there any indication that the cover has been off before? In a prior service it's possible that someone used (excessive) adhesive rather than just a gasket and now you are paying the price. If it were me I'd try to heat just the stator cover and let that aluminum expansion work for you against the stuck joint. Also heat should soften / weaken / adhesive if it is there. Remember there are dowels for positioning so the cover has to come pretty much straight out.

If you don't have a heat gun that is controlable maybe just try pouring boiling water over the cover. I'd suggest any heat over 225 deg. F is too hot. Be patient, let it work to heat the whole cover, and then give it good hits with the mallet. 

Just my 2 cents

Archived