6th gen CCT related question ...

carlgustav

• Member Contributer

I have about 36000 miles on my VFR.  Now I'm hearing a bit of noise, like something loose 'in' the bike somewhere and slapping.  It's very mild now, only when pulling in to a parking lot, or the driveway, and slowing down.  So it may be time to do the CCTs.  There is a butt-load of info about replacing, or rebuilding, the CCTs on this forum and the other.  That's well covered.  However, in all the threads I've looked at, no one mentions replacing the 'shoes', 'tension blades', long thingies that press against the chain.  Is this just not done, not necessary, they never wear down?  Do you just do the one w/o the other?

TIA,

ACE

23 minutes ago, carlgustav said:

I have about 36000 miles on my VFR.  Now I'm hearing a bit of noise, like something loose 'in' the bike somewhere and slapping.  It's very mild now, only when pulling in to a parking lot, or the driveway, and slowing down.  So it may be time to do the CCTs.  There is a butt-load of info about replacing, or rebuilding, the CCTs on this forum and the other.  That's well covered.  However, in all the threads I've looked at, no one mentions replacing the 'shoes', 'tension blades', long thingies that press against the chain.  Is this just not done, not necessary, they never wear down?  Do you just do the one w/o the other?

TIA,

ACE

Their called chain guides if I'm not mistaken, and they're just one of those things that doesn't really ever need replacing until full engine rebuild time when the engine has like 100,000+ miles on it or if something reeeeeeeaaally bad happens and you would know if something like that happened coz the engine would go bye-bye.

If the sound you're hearing is like a ticking noise that gets a little louder when at a stop and sounds like something knocking down low then it's time to replace the CCT. 36,000 miles is about when most people have reported the CCT going on the 6th gen, mine went as something like 55,000km which is close to where yours is at now.

Archived