Please Help With Problem; Loosing fuel/Going into engine oil

LLifesaver

Hello.

Last year I posted about a rebuild I was planning on doing to my 2002 VFR that I had neglected for many years. It was about five years that I let my bike sit. It sat mostly outside in the elements for those years. I would occasionally start my bike and run it around the block. I changed the oil two or three times just to get fresh oil in the bike. My bike really looked bad! There are photographs that I posted in what was to be a refresh and paint thread from last year. In the end though, I only started the project. I sanded and put two or three coats of paint on the plastics. Also, I picked up a new seat for my bike off of another VFRD member last year too. That's where I stopped. I don't have a good excuse for why I never went forth with everything, other than to say I purchased two other motorcycles and began riding them everywhere, and simply never got back around to fixing up my VFR...

I am ready now though, to get my VTEC VFR looking good and working well. I am going to paint, put in a new battery, flush all the fluids, new tires, and then ride. Thats what I want to do the most is get back to riding this bike! I am not going to try and make it look new again, but I do want it to look good. I feel as though I can accomplish that easily enough with not too much time or investment at this point.

Okay, now to the reason I am posting this new topic. I need some help and guidance. Until today, I hadn't started my bike for about a year. I removed a battery from another motorcycle, and hooked it up to the VFR. The bike didn't even hesitate. It started right up. I ran it up until it warmed to 220+ before I noticed my first problem. The radiator fan would not turn on. I figured that was one of two or three things. It was because the fluid level in the radiators was too low for the temperature switch to realize it needed to turn the fan to on. I put in some water topping it off. That worked. Now the fan comes on as it should. The radiator fluid levels are remaining the same with no leaks etc...

I had to run up to the store for two gallons of gas, because the bike stalled and would not start up. Shook the bike and the tank sounded almost completely empty. I thought that wierd because the week prior I remember putting in at least 3/4 gallon of new fuel. 

So, I put in two full gallons of gasoline in the tank after getting back from the store. I did take notice of the oil site glass previously, and it was exactly in between the lines... After filling with two gallons of gas, the bike started right up. Idled great at right around 14-1500 rpm. Everything sounded great as I revved up past VTEC once at temp. I noticed what I thought to be a lot of white smoke coming from the tailpipes though.. I got on, and rode around my figure eight neighborhood for about ten to fifteen minutes. Everything felt perfect! Except, I took notice that when I was coasting in neutral or clutched, that when I revved up real high in the rpm range that there was still white smoke? Suddenly, the bike shut itself down, sounding like it was starving for fuel. I clutched in while pushing the starter button and got it to fire up again, but not for long (seconds). 

I walked myeslf and my bike Home. Luckily it stalled only one or two driveways down from my place. I looked things over and tried starting it again while on the centerstand. It almost started and felt like it wanted to start, but wouldn't. I shook the bike and could hardly hear any fuel at all in the tank. Now I was puzzled, as that would be some really really horrible gas mileage! I looked at the oil site glass and saw that it was now well far above the upper limit marker line. Hmm... So, that must be where all my newly put in fuel went. 

Now I am stuck to wondering why, and how do I fix it?  I do not mind doing the work. Even though I am definitely no master mechanic, I am pretty good with a wrench. I've rebuilt the carb after having a diaphragm leak on my Harley. Have done the VTEC valve adjustment twice. Oil changes and add ons, etc... 

I had a similar problem on my riding mower recently. After researching, I was able to fix that one by simply replacing one tiny little o-ring in the carburetor where the needle seats. Pulled the spark plug from its engine and cranked out all of the gas that was in the engine. Flushed and changed the oil, and all has been well with the riding mower ever since.. probably six months and weekly cuttings.

I hope this is something simple like that. Simple to me would be replacing a gasket or o-ring or similar small inexpensive, yet crucial part... I don't mind if the work is time consuming, or requires removing and pulling things apart.

I just don't know where to begin? What on our bikes would be the most likely culprets? If you think you may know, please help point me in the right direction.

I'm not sure how the fuel would make it into the oil sump from the fuel tank.

Why don't you just drain ALL the fluids out including the fuel tank?  Shine a light into the fuel tank and visually check the fuel in there.  Is it liquid or gel?  Drain the oil and visually check what is in it.

A bike sitting for long periods like that in cold/hot weather will definitely get messed up.  Sitting coolant turns acidic.  Fuel turns to gel.   I don't even know what oil does in freezing temperatures.  Then, all your rubber hoses must be bad by now.  Good luck.

• Member Contributer

N8sVFR recently had trouble with a bum fuel injector that allowed fuel to leak into the combustion chamber, past the piston rings, and into the oil. See here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/82042-02-running-rough-at-idle-smoke-and-no-power-in-low-end

Thank you so much! After reading the three pages of that posted thread, it seems that a new fuel pressure regulator is in order. Also, I need to pull out the injectors and send them off to be serviced. I bet these two things completely fix this issue. It's probably one or more of the injectors are bad/leaking. I am still going to have a look at the vacum for the fpr to see if that's it first...

Thank you again, and I will report back. Even if it may not be for a couple of weeks, as I have to find a new Home first before I start pulling things apart and sending things off waiting etc...

I'm pretty much Homeless at the moment. 

Archived