VFR800f 2000 but seems to be a 99

Not only is she a 99 it seems the previous owners went to all the trouble of putting a nice upgraded re/rec in there and have left a few power points where they tapped into the loom. Handy

One thing does confuse me - see pic - it's clearly the 12v to back light and it's been severed - ehy make this mod - the two lights light up in it's place I assume? Is this a common thing? Would reconnecting it provide more illumination at the back? Much oddness.

IMG_20160726_171936.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'd guess that is connected to the "voltage sense" wire on the new reg/rec.  The idea is to check the actual voltage in the bike's electrical system at a different place than the battery, I guess, in hopes that gives a more accurate reading to tell the reg/rec how much to regulate.  The older reg/recs did not have this, so there was no need for that sensing wire to be included on the bike.  Your PO apparently wanted to get all the benefits of the newer reg/rec, so he added a sense wire.  Most peeps would probably just leave it disconnected!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, skulkerboyo said:

what about the light it was connected to - It's not needed?

The tail light has its own power--that's what the sensor wire is sensing.  The later 5th gens (with the extra wire) used the Engine Stop Sensor wire for that purpose.  I imagine that sensor is somewhere nearby?  To duplicate the later wiring, you could attach the sensor wire to the stop sensor but, as I mentioned, it's not really necessary to connect it to anything.

On re-reading your question, I think I have misunderstood what you were asking and jumped to conclusions!  Sorry.

I'm not sure what rear lights you have illuminated now.  Could this "severed" wire have been for the license plate light?  If it had been the tail lights, you wouldn't have any tail lights at all, would you?  No.  But it is common practice to tap into the tail light circuit to get power for accessories, so perhaps that's what that wire was used for?  When the PO sold the bike he removed the accessories and left the wire.  Does that make sense?

Ciao,

Hi

The pciture shows what appears to be a light in the middle of the cluster with its two wires severed - It has the two other lights lit at all the correct settings so I'm not worried - just wondering if this was simply the previous owner's preference or had some obvious tangible benefit like freeing upa 12volt line and ditching an not needed light - don;t know any other viffer owners to compare rear light set up. To be honest not that bothered - I have a 12v line and didn't need to mangle anything to get it.

That being said - when I attact my combination voltmeter and usb port - where should I attach it? I guess most people slap it on the lights. Anyway she's back in the shop today - has  awarp on the right disc and I've done less that 100 miles on her - the warranty should cover it . . . .

• Member Contributer

Okay, I see it now!  All I can think of is that is an alarm LED, and the alarm has been removed (usually a good thing, that).

For the USB/voltmeter, you probably want an ignition-switched circuit, and the lights are often used for that.  But on a UK-spec 5th gen the headlights are on a switch, so if you want the USB working even if the lights are off, you will need to tap into another circuit.  Where you do this would likely depend on where you wanted to mount the voltmeter/USB unit.  Having a wiring diagram would be helpful here!  The colour diagrams in the Haynes manual are very good.

Ciao,

I ride with lights on all the time anyway - every little helps on this rainy isle. Have haynes - will pop some plastics off this weekend and find a suitable point

Archived