Cheap DIY seat fix

Leaf

So after riding this bike a few short times, I can't believe anyone could put up with this seat for any distance.  My ass was killing me after an hour.  So, since I'm cheap and have modded a few seats in the past, out came the sanders and razor knife to correct the shape.  The main problem is the seat is angled down to the tank and has no nose to keep from sliding forward.  I had some old foam pieces from an old Honda Cub seat in the trash can so I stacked, glued and shaped them into a workable nose and took the sanders to the rear section and levelled it down and scooped a little in the rear for support.  Conclusion:  For no money and 3-4 hours work the seat is now more supportive and I don't slide forward anymore.  The shape is still too narrow and the foam too soft to compare to a proper aftermarket or custom solution but far better than stock.  Next step is to get some 1" base foam and 1/2" top foam and do a fully custom shape but for now and likely the rest of the season, this will make a big difference.  Next up, new lower ZG screen and a conversion to 7/8" bars with comfy grips.

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've owned both Sargeant seats and Corbin for the 5th gen.  I also rode my current 2000 VFR home to Virginia from Portland in 4 days...on the stock seat.  I never had a problem and I'm 6'1" and 240 at the time...but I would say that while the stock seat was fine, the Corbin I have now is better...but still a little hard compared to the stocker.

Matt

Archived