Glad I bought a VFR

• Member Contributer

I test rode an FJ-09, FZ-07 and an R6 today as the local dealer had a Yamaha demo event. The FJ-09 was nice, but the bars were really buzzy to the point where it bothered me. It had decent power, but nothing like the 7th Gen. The R6 was disappointing no torque at all - I'm so glad I bought the 1990 VFR750 as my first bike! It feels so much better than an inline 4 - even a modern one. I'm also glad I found an SV650 for a trackbike as an inline 4 would not fit my riding style. I was afraid the engine was gonna blow up I was revving it so high - 16,000 rpm! Maybe it feels better if you always have it between 12K and 16K, but that was not possible on the five mile loop we took........I could only hit that a few times and it felt weird.

The big surprise was the FZ-07 - what a fun little bike! It felt small, but had good power, and did not have the buzziness of it's big brother. The forks were a bit mushy, and the brakes were not as good as I am used to, but for the price, it is a fun little machine!

• Member Contributer

They made me appreciate both, and yes, the FZ-07 is a gem. Not as refined as the VFR by any means, but probably a bit more fun in the tight twisty stuff. It would make a great third bike...............

Archived