Fuel In Exhaust...?

Storx

I just bought my used 2002 VFR800, the owner never mentioned anything about fuel being in the exhaust before i purchased it.. but today i was around the dealership that did all the work on it previously before i purchased it and stopped in to just have a talk with the dealership.. granted the bike sat for a very long time before it was serviced, but the owner i bought it from said he had to replace the injectors and fuel pump on the bike because it was missfiring after sitting for 5 years in storage.. today the dealer tells me that the fuel system was completely gummed up and between the regulator not working correctly and the injectors being gummed up there was fuel spitting out of the exhaust.. they told me they suspected that the rings were sticking, so they added an additive to the motor to help seat the rings again and then had the customer come back after 50miles to do an oil change.....

I am no mechanic.. but does it sound like legitimate info? the bike seems to run very smooth and has lots of power as i've already put 200+ miles on the bike since buying it last friday.. i have no weird odors out of the exhaust and no smoke during idle or revving.. just curious on input.. i got the bike very cheap, so i have very little into the bike already....

• Member Contributer

Can you clarify this a bit . . . who did the previous owner have do the work when replacing the injectors and F.P. - the shop you talked to . . . or ? If the bike's running fine with no smell of unburned fuel, what diagnosis procedure did they use to tell you that you have raw fuel out the exhaust? I might guess an exhaust gas analyzer, but then I'm not sure a lot of bike repair shops have one. It would have to be running extremely rich for that to happen. If you know of a dyno shop nearby, they normally can measure AFR and could tell you if it's running rich or not.

Archived