E-Z 5Th Gen Rear Wheel On 3Rd Gen--Why Not?

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

Why can't I do this?

20160418_163618x.jpg

Well, not exactly that.  That's a bunch of stainless steel M8 countersunk screws stuck into the RHS of the rear brake disc/rotor--pre-machining of any sort.  The point being, they're nearly flush and could be made flush with a rather minor chamfering of the axle holes.  Could probably do it on the bike with a hand drill and countersink bit.  There is enough clearance on the other side for a locking flange nut.  (Apologies for the filthy bike!)

20160418_163038y.jpg

However, the LHS of the brake disc is recessed (like the axle flange), and while I don't think the locking flange nuts are in danger of sinking into the recess, I think I would prefer to flip the rotor around so that the surface bearing the nut is not recessed.  That's an axle-out job, but should be straightforward.

An even better solution would be to use a bolt that fits into the axle's recess and thus does not require any machining at all (or maybe a slight enlargement of the holes).  Something like...

tidiscbmw001bxx_1.jpgtidiscbmw001px_1.jpg

These are titanium BMW S1000R front disc bolts, M8 x 26, 2mm head thickness and 3mm shoulder.  I cannot tell the diameter of the shoulder, but even if it is 10mm, that should be easy to do on a drill press (although I have heard that the VFR axle is made from some really hard steel).  They are also too long, but...they can be cut down.

Why?  I want to be able to swap rear wheels among my VFRs and don't want to hack up my VFR800 rear wheel.  I would be hacking up my FP's axle, but that doesn't seem to bother me as much!

Ciao,

post-362-0-45968000-1461007824.jpg

post-362-0-29531900-1461008107.jpg

post-362-0-56549500-1461008713.jpg

post-362-0-44387600-1461008729.jpg

1 answer to this question

• Member Contributer

My follow-up seems to have disappeared, but this what I ended up doing:

20160422_194120y.jpg

20160422_201101x.jpg

I should point out that I did have to slightly enlarge the holes in the axle flange to clear the shoulders on these titanium bolts, and that was much more difficult than I had expected.  The axle is made of hardened steel and it clearly did not enjoy being teased by my 8.4mm HSS drill bits (this was done on a drill press).  But I got there in the end.

I took the opportunity to install a new aftermarket rear brake disc I had purchased eons ago, which I flipped over so the recesses were not on the side with the titanium locking flange nuts.

And now I can use an RC46 rear wheel without cutting bits of it away!

Ciao,

Archived