F4 Shock Used On Vf500F

flattrack

question about the F4 shock which is a popular replacement for the VF500F junker.

can the mount with the damping adjuster be unscrewed from the shaft while the shock is charged with gas/oil?

Would be nice to see a part blowup of how this mechanism works since I have not had one apart.

post-32201-0-65507400-1451601257.jpg

• Member Contributer

Better release the gas charge first, though.

Not sure how nasty / dangerous it is but that needle running up the shaft is definitely under pressure.

well now I know what's inside. I suspect the shock I had didn't have much gas charge left as I could exercise the shock by hand after I removed the spring. I carefully drilled a very small hole in the cap where the bump is. with the gas released everything in the reservoir came apart easily. The cap was blank so I will add my own schrader. I pulled off the lower mount eyelet and will do the machining for the extension legs.
I realized the bladder on this shock is reversed in orientation in the reservoir compared to the rebuilds I have seen on videos. Which means the gas is outside the bladder and the bladder expands rather than compress when the shock is compressed. Now would be the time for some expert advice :) Should I make my own endcap which holds the bladder in the usual position and then just o-ring the other end?

modify_inline.gif

• Member Contributer

well now I know what's inside. I suspect the shock I had didn't have much gas charge left as I could exercise the shock by hand after I removed the spring. I carefully drilled a very small hole in the cap where the bump is. with the gas released everything in the reservoir came apart easily. The cap was blank so I will add my own schrader. I pulled off the lower mount eyelet and will do the machining for the extension legs.

I realized the bladder on this shock is reversed in orientation in the reservoir compared to the rebuilds I have seen on videos. Which means the gas is outside the bladder and the bladder expands rather than compress when the shock is compressed. Now would be the time for some expert advice :) Should I make my own endcap which holds the bladder in the usual position and then just o-ring the other end?

modify_inline.gif

Send Jamie a email.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/user/6344-jamiedaugherty/

Archived