Radiator Cap And Cooling System Pressure Testing Questions

Corey

I am replacing the thermostat and hoses for the radiator and water pump on my 5th Gen. I purchased the Mityvac MV4510 Motorcycle Cooling System Test Kit. I just pressure tested the original OEM radiator cap. According to the 98-01 Honda VFR FI Service Manual the radiator cap should release at between 16-20psi. I pumped the Mityvac to 20+ PSI (pushing 30) but the radiator cap didn't release any pressure. It did hold the pressure, which is a good thing, but it didn't release the pressure. Is this somehow going to be an issue? Or is it a non-issue.

Also, what is the proper method for pressure testing the cooling system? And what exactly am I looking for, just leaks?

• Member Contributer

Cap is junk ,should release at 16psi to allow expanding coolant out of the system. There is also a valve in it to allow fluid to return to the radiator on cool down . To test pump the system to 16 psi and note any leaks pressure should hold at 16 psi for about 30 minutes otherwise there is a leak somewhere in the system.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

A Stant 11233 will fit perfectly, and costs a fraction of the OE price (OE cap is $38.51 at Service Honda. Stant 11233 is $7.99 at Pep Boys). I have used these radiator caps for years on Kawasakis and Hondas. This pressure cap fit the VFR 5th Gen. It is a 16 psi cap. The danger in having a pressure cap that does not release pressure is that the cooling system can build pressure to a point that something else releases the pressure, like a hose or a radiator. Jeff J.

Archived