Turn Signal Switch Replacement

mkrouse

• Member Contributer

I need advice in sourcing a new or fabulously, operational turn signal switch. Ebay stuff looks suspiciously not fabulous. Bike Bandit says they're not available for shipment. I'm tired of straining my left thumb to even move the switch. The colder the temperature, the worse it functions. I'll pay.

Where else to look?

Well that blows. I was looking at them last year but never did buy one. Now it looks like it has been obsoleted. I looked at Ron Ayers, Partszilla, and Service Honda. None of them have them available.

• Member Contributer

Have you tried any kind of electrical - rated lubricants? I ask that because mine is kind of tough as well. I've used contact cleaner to improve it, but am thinking a better lubricant would probably do the trick.

• Member Contributer

I've purchased a turn signal switch with uncut wiring from a 97 CBR600F3. Hoping that it would be similar as suggested on this forum. Well it is similar but not perfect. Attached is the best photo I could shoot. Everything seems to match up nicely except one of the main connectors under the cowl. I taped the end connectors together in pairs, just for the photo.

The bottom set [red 4 blades] are from the 99 VFR800FI. The top set [black 3 blades] are from the 97 CBR600F3. Well 3 doesn't go into 4. I don't know what that connector powers. I have the wire colors for both, if someone is clever enough to suggest buying a new 4 blade connector [male] and leaving one of the blades without a wire.

Maybe the next step is to see if the mechanicals of the F3 switch can be reassembled into my VFR switch. They look identical. Couple of tiny phillips screws and bob's your uncle?

Appreciate any assistance.

post-26864-0-41080800-1445212480.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, I went the Bob's Your Uncle approach. Took out some of the mechanicals from the F3 housing that were not wired/soldered, and replaced them in the VFR housing. Except the F3 lower housing had a nice locating peg, and the one from the VFR was broken off, so I used the F3 lower housing. It was identical.

This created the need to remove the F3 horn switch stuff, and tuck in the VFR horn switch stuff. That is a bugger of a job. Big fingers? Call wifey or 10 year old. So, it's a mix and match fix. Things are working. Time will tell.

Archived