Accessing The Headlamp Assembly

Skids

• Member Contributer

Hi all

Does anyone know of any guides to accessing the headlamp assembly? I know there's something in the Service Manual but the downloadable one from here has the pictures so dark you can't see what they're referring to. I need to get access to inside the plastic backing and the wiring from the bulbs so I can figure out if my HID-Xenon bulb will fit.

Thanks. :beer:

i just recently replaced my headlight bulbs. This is not fun as I have medium/large hands... I found if I was sitting on the bike and used one hand on either sides of the neck was the only way I could manage. They are buried under the display and all the work is done completely by feel. It may help to have a buddy look through the front of the headlight to help you line up the bulb correctly.

• Member Contributer

If you have normal size hands, it's hard to access this area. That being said with patients, it can be done.

Thanks for the info but I want to remove the whole housing to access the rear of it without the headstock and all the associated gubbins in the way.

I've already checked the new bulb out in situ but the access does not allow me to feed the new wires through the plastic cap nor site the igniter & ballast, hence my request for help removing the whole housing.

if you follow the youtube vid on fairing removal, you will be 80% there already. Then you will just have to remove the wind screen, then the nose fairing, and the headlamp assembly screws will be in plain sight. It is more tedious than difficult. Take you time with each piece and don't brute force it, as there are fragile clips that will break easily. Best to have the service manual, so you know where the clips are and which way to pull.

• Member Contributer

if you follow the youtube vid on fairing removal, you will be 80% there already. Then you will just have to remove the wind screen, then the nose fairing, and the headlamp assembly screws will be in plain sight. It is more tedious than difficult. Take you time with each piece and don't brute force it, as there are fragile clips that will break easily. Best to have the service manual, so you know where the clips are and which way to pull.

Ok, thanks m8.

You were my next port of call anyway after your bulb modification.

If it's that simple then I'll give it a go after I've serviced my 6th Gen.

I've done it several times already and should've remembered to take some pics the last go around. I'm usually rushing thru that stage, as it is never the fun part. Next time...

Archived