Sssa On A First Gen Viffer?

Hawkati

Question

In the quest to get decent tyre sizes on my viffer I originally slung a 92 fireblade wheel in the back, being the same diameter axle. All well & good until i put the sprocket carrier in, at which point everything started getting in the way of everything else. Since i'm doing a charity ride on this bike in a month, time is limited and so are my engineering skills (i am without lathe, alas)....and i have a spare sssa & wheel - does anyone know if this will simply bolt in without an angle grinder & sledgehammer frenzy? Cheers, jamess

4 answers to this question

Naw, you have to cut the frame where the shock mount is and reposition the upper shock mount.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics. It's been done before, but not by me.

It was on this website, but the page is not listed as a link on the main site.

http://www.rc30.us

Quoted from the site owner:

"The swingarm came off of a VFR800, and DOES NOT work!! It's back off the

bike now, and I've put the stock swingarm back on it with an F3 rear wheel.

I had to have the shock mount moved back to the original location, too. The

dimensions just didn't work out. The sprocket was too far to the left and

the wheel centerline was too far to the right. It would have required MAJOR

surgery to get it to work, and I'm just not that dedicated!! I finally got

the bike on the road about a month ago though with the F3 wheel, first time

I rode it since the 840 conversion. It feels a LOT stronger, but I'm still

in break-in mode so I can't really flog it properly yet."

Muchly appreciated.... Fort Wayne seems a bit far from the shire though. I might persist with slinging the blade wheel on later since there's a pissabolity the bike might form the basis of an endurance racer, but really tight on time now....

.....so would a 2nd gen (90 to 96) CBR 600 wheel fit with nae bother?

You'll need to acquire wheels from a '91 to '94 CBR600F2. Jamie modifies the front speedo drive for $65 and then its a bolt on. For the rear he modifies the cush drive to get the chain in the right place. He then supplies spacers and a torque arm to make the rear brake a bolt on. The VF front rotors are retained but you'll need a rear F2 rotor to make it work. If you bought the cush drive and the speedo drive in the states you could have them shipped directly to Jamie for modification. Then when done He could ship the works. And if you could find the wheels in England you could save time and shipping.

There is guy here in Ohio that has a VF1000F rear wheel that is set up for a VF750F. Its only a 3 1/2" wheel but he only wanted $50 for that and a stock front. If that wheel were wide enough I can put you in contact with him?

Say hello to the Pennines for me, Kevin

Archived