Obd 2 To Vfr 800?

Erosnunes

Hello,

I have an KIWI wifi with a OBD2 port.

Is it possoble to use this system with the VFR 800 (2007)?

Is there some kind of adapter to transform the OBD2 to suite the VFR socket?

Regards!

• Member Contributer

I tried wiring an ob2 reader into an 09 800 and didn't have any luck. The reader didn't recognise the bike as a valid source of data. It looked like the bike didn't conform to the published standard.

Kaldek tried an aftermarket reader from HealTech, but I seem to remember that even that didn't pull much info compared to a car or even some other bikes.

• Member Contributer

That's right, I did purchase the HealTech unit, which I then sold to Auspanol if I recall. It collects very little raw data because very little data is available. There are only about 30 error codes and none of those are intelligent ones like "O2 sensor rich" or anything useful.

They are notoriously hard bikes to diagnose for EFI issues, unless you happen to be a master auto diagnostics technician with a kick-ass oscilloscope.

Honestly I can't wait for the day the USA forces OBD2 standards on motorbike manufacturers. OBD2 was brought in in 1996 in the USA, but if you have a European or Japanese market version of the same car sold in USA from that era, it still won't have OBD2! The manufacturers *really* didn't want to have to put the smarts into their ECU as it created a whole lot more coding work for them.

• Member Contributer

Honestly I can't wait for the day the USA forces OBD2 standards on motorbike manufacturers. OBD2 was brought in in 1996 in the USA, but if you have a European or Japanese market version of the same car sold in USA from that era, it still won't have OBD2! The manufacturers *really* didn't want to have to put the smarts into their ECU as it created a whole lot more coding work for them.

Exactly, that's why Nissans from the mid to late 90s had two DLC's, one to fool the port inspectors into thinking it conformed to OBD2, and the only one that works behind the fuse panel.

Archived