Not Starting With Clutch Pulled In

I just picked up a 2003 VFR. I have noticed that when the clutch is pulled in, the bike won't start (when not in neutral). I threw an ohmeter across the switch and it is correctly working. My next step is the try and trace the wires back and figure out where it is not working.

Does anyone have some tips on where to start looking?

Im fighting nearly the same thing but worse lol... Have you tried 1/2 throttle open then push start?

Kick stand has to be down there is a safety switch, and in neutral

Mine wont start unless in neutral, I have found if adjust the clutch by the thumb adjuster on the lever you can find a sweet spot to where it will start when in gear! The safety switch re: kickstand and stand also play a key to override. Not sure how it all works together though.

I put delkevic pipes on and a boosterplug been running extremely well for about 500 miles, then went to ride yesterday and it started shuttering and trying to run erratic and wanting to die made it home then been trying to resolve. Today I found part of the cat is blowing out the exhaust little red metal fireballs once cooled looked at them and its the cat blowing apart, Im wondering if this would make the bike run so bad and behave erraticly...I research stuff and did find one recall not fixed on my bike but its just a harness issue and I see mine is ok. Any ideas would be helpful...?

I once blew my clutch diode - neutral light was halfway on even in gear (do not remember, perhaps only with clutch lever pressed) and won't start unless in neutral.

It's location is right fuse box under little triangular fairing piece. Looks like this one, I didn't check if it is the right one http://www.cmsnl.com/products/diode-assy-3way_31730mas601/#.VWMX9HMU5Bc.

You can check it with multimeter - red to central leg, black to one of side legs and it should show impedance close to zero. Switch red and black and it should show infinite impedance - no connection. Or perhaps other way - infinite in first try, don't remember exactly. The point is - one way connected, the other way no connection. The other side leg with central leg should be the same.

If at least one of those tests fails - change it.

Sidestand is designed to kill engine if you are not in neutral gear and clutch here is in no account.

P.S. my english is not perfect, I hope you can understand what I am saying ;)

• Member Contributer

If not the clutch lever switch then it's likely the side stand switch. They both have to be working properly for the bike to start when "not in neutral".

Side stand switch is easy to check. Start engine, press clutch lever, put in first gear. Then, put down side stand, engine stops now if everything is ok.

Oh, and IIRC there are wires plugged in on clutch switch. If you can unplug them, you can try if there is difference with starting in gear (don't forget to press clutch, if bike's rear wheel is on ground ;)) when you connect them together. If yes, then switch is the problem. If no difference, then most probably that diode I wrote in first post.

Both the side stand and kill switch behave as expected. I tested the actual clutch switch itself and it checked out. My only other guess is a bad wire between the clutch switch and whatever is on the other end. I have the service manual, so I just need to look that up.

• Member Contributer

Does it have aftermarket levers? If you adjust some brands in all the way they don't fully engage the clutch switch and the bike won't start.

Well I traced the wires at each harness and they checked out. I then scratched my head and tried starting it in gear with the side stand up (and clutch pulled in). This time it worked... I did throw some Some ox gard on the harnesses while I was testing, so I'm gonna chalk this up to a bad connection in a harness.

I had an issue with the clutch switch that turned out to not be the switch. Bike would not start unless it was in neutral. The switch itself was fine but there was a spot on the clutch lever where it touches the tip of the switch, that spot was worn down from years of use and it was not moving the switch far enough to close the contact. So I built it back up in that little spot. JB weld to the rescue! It's been holding for a couple of weeks.

Archived