Givi Topcase Bracket Install

Desmovfr

My bike came with the side cases, so I decided to install a top case. I bought the GIVI Top Case Monorack FZ Sidearms 166FZ kit and the mount plate, the install went pretty straight forward, I was a little surprised they used SAE nuts/bolts instead of metric but oh well. The side brackets are very sturdy and do not touch the body work, the issue I have is they also included another set of brackets that go from the rear hand grips to the front of the plastic mount plate, it seems they may be unneccessary, has anyone used the Givi topcase without the handgrip brackets? I am reluctant to change the recommended install, heck maybe the mount plate needs the extra support to prevent failure. I'll post pics when I get some daylight garage time on Saturday.

• Member Contributer

GIVI had a few of their top case mounts snap at some weak points and this was part of their fix. When I installed mine, I had a heck of time getting these to line up and fit, so I left them off. I rode with it like this for a few trips but considering the weight I was putting in the case when riding, I didn't feel comfortable leaving it like this, so I took some time to get these installed. No problems and now I don't even give it a second thought.

I had a hell of a time getting it all together too but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind. I bought the M7 plate initially as it seemed more sturdy to me and the case fits on it more snuggly but it was touching the grips and I was worried about damage to the grips when driving so I just went and bought the M5 after and that fits without touching anything.

My recommendation would be that you hook it all up without tightening anything (just hand tighten) and then tighten the plate screws first, then the 2 brackets that go to the grips and then the rest. At least that's how I did and that seemed to be the easiest way in my case. The first time I did it the opposite way and it was significantly harder.

Archived