Garmin Virb Elite Action Camera

NorthernVFRDave

• Member Contributer

So my GoPro went MIA at TMAC last year and I've been hunting around for something new since. Problem is GoPro has gone way up in price since its early years and I don't see the need for 4k video when very few people have something to view it one.

Enter the Gaemin Virb Elite, a full GPS action camera that shoots at 1080@30fps and syncs GPS position information along with a 2 axis accelerometer to give you G force data, a gyroscope for pitch and roll or lean angle, plus a barometer for pinpoint altitude and vertical speed readings. As well it's equipted with Ant+ that will sync to all kinds of sport meters.

It's also IPX7 rated, so no need for a waterproof case on those rainy days, which means sharper sound on your recordings.

Best part is, it's $150 less then the current GoPro Hero 4 that came out this summer.

Made this video today, by mounting it from my rear view mirror, using a GoPro mount. Because Garmin gives you an adapter to fit GoPro mounts. Their free video editing software works well, from what I have used so far, and looks to give you basically everything you need.

• Member Contributer

What's the speed limit over there? :wink:

Looks good. If I didn't already have a Drift HD Ghost I would be tempted to buy the VIRB, given that I also have a Zumo 590, which can apparently control the VIRB...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

What's the speed limit over there? :wink:

Looks good. If I didn't already have a Drift HD Ghost I would be tempted to buy the VIRB, given that I also have a Zumo 590, which can apparently control the VIRB...

Ciao,

Saidly the limit is 100km/h. One of the slowest in North America anymore.

And ya the Virb interfaces with the new Zumos. Give you live camera video feed and playback control.

Archived