Oem Sidecases - 2010

Rider14

It ran me $20 to have my bags re-keyed for my bike. I bought the bags used, and the seller included a key for the locks. The cylinders are a bit of a pain to remove, but it should save you some money when getting them re-keyed. The most difficult part of getting the bags re-keyed was finding a locksmith that would work on anything motorcycle related. NOBODY in my area would even touch the cylinders once I said they were from a motorcycle. I called around and found someone 20 miles or so away that would do it... That's a long ways when you live in a metropolitan area.

• Member Contributer

Bought bags over the weekend from a member here - they will be shipped today, with keys. If I can get the cylinders out, I will bring them to a locksmith to be rekeyed.

ANy sugestions on removing them? What about it was a pain? able to do it without damage to the bags?

Any input appreciated. Looking forward to being able to carry more stuff. :biggrin:

-Dan

I had absolutely no problems with removing my cylinder - two C-clips - one big for the barrel and one small for the lever push rod.Took me 20 min with

reassembling the cylinder...piece a cake. Not sure why do you need any locksmith here?

You need this kit:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_08L55MGE800Y1/

Hardest part is figuring out how it all fits together. I remember there being about a dozen screws to pull the panel off the bag with the tumbler. Once I had the whole unit out, I ran into problems breaking the lock down any farther. I may have just given this whole assembly to the locksmith and had them take it from there. If you get stuck, post up some pictures and I (or someone else) can try to point you in the right direction.

IMG_20121223_162442.jpg

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/73517-q-removing-tumblers-in-oem-panniers/

• Member Contributer

Sounds good - if needed, that part is available from DAvid Silver SPares USA for $25 plus shipping, although I don't know if that's for 1 or 2...probably 1, as you'd only need one for the top case...

-Dan

Sounds good - if needed, that part is available from DAvid Silver SPares USA for $25 plus shipping, although I don't know if that's for 1 or 2...probably 1, as you'd only need one for the top case...

-Dan

Yes, one kit for each lock.

Archived