Chain Question

Lint

I was looking at my chain today and I noticed that when I roll the chain by hand, there are no tight spots but when I put it up on the center stand and idle it in gear the chain jumps around a lot.

I don't think I have more than 10K miles on it and I've always been pretty good about chain maintenance, cleaning and lubing. When the bike idles in gear, I can't really tell where the tight spot is.

It is an RK530XSO and it was the whole kit, chain and sprockets, stock gearing. On install we used a caliper to make sure it was not over compressed on the link.

The jumping around when in gear is pretty typical of most chain driven bikes. Its not just the adjustment but individual links doing their thing as they come off the smaller sprocket & on to the larger drive sprocket. This becomes less under acceleration & load.

Chains sections never stretch equally & putting it on the center stand allows you to notice the tighter & tightest section of the chain to adjust to spec. Bear in mind that the tightness of the chain increases when you take it off the stand & put your bum on the seat. Rider weight & extra luggage/pillion can dramatically increase the tautness to the point of being over tight. I've found the best time to check the chain is after a good clean & lube.

• Member Contributer

If you don't have vibrations at speed>80 and < 30mph, you should be OK.

I've just replaced my chain, which should have had quite a few miles left in it due to vibrations at speed and at in-town cruising.

New chain=no more vibrations and perfectly smooth ride.

To check whether it was indeed the chain, I took the time and some latex gloves and went over every link. Two were tight. Chain is out.

I did put it in the bucket of used motor oil in hopes of bringing it back to life. Maybe. It was that or trash can.

Archived