6Th Gen Upper Stay Fitment

Guest vfragain

Guest vfragain

Hi, I'm looking for a straight used upper stay for my 03 VFR800 and came across the MotoBrackets one on ebay. Anyone have any experience with these? They only list the 06-09 VFR stay, what is different with this stay from my 03? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Apparently Honda altered the stay in 06 to compensate for an ECU or relocate an existing ECU under the plastic. Any 06+ owners care to comment? If so, would a relocated ECU really have any effect on the mounting points of the stay? IIRC, the plastic, gauges, and headlights are interchangeable from 02-09. Correct?

Is this ECU thing mostly ABS related?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

AFAIK the stay's are the same except it'll have the mounting brackets on the left side for the ABS control unit. It will still have the PGM mounting brackets on the right. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The 06 and up units have a smaller ECU. The part can be used on older VFRs but you will not be able to mount the ECU in the OEM manner.

IF you don't mind rigging up a mount then it will work.

• 3 weeks later...

The 06 and up units have a smaller ECU. The part can be used on older VFRs but you will not be able to mount the ECU in the OEM manner.

IF you don't mind rigging up a mount then it will work.

Thought I'd update this as I was the OP. Yes, CornerCarver is correct. I did purchase the knock off from Motobrackets. Everything fit fine except for the ECU mount on the right side. My 'rigging' involved turning the unit 90 degrees and a couple of zip ties. Its solid. So in summary, the newer generation stays (06-09)will work on the older gen bikes. I do try to use OEM and support the dealer but almost $300 Cdn as opposed to $130 Cdn shipped. thanks to all.

Archived