Led Bulb Only

rescue

• Member Contributer

was reading the posts on the hid and led conversions but was wondering what is stopping me from just installing the led bulb

only without the fan units and the resistors?

Sleasbay has some bulbs for $5 each

thanks

those cheapo led bulbs (with no ballast or fan) that has tons of little LED cells on are crap, just for looks, they look kinda cool looking straight at them bright white, but wont give you more than couple of meters of visibility ahead of you

• Member Contributer

I think the main difference is that the LED only bulbs are not nearly as bright when being considered as headlights. If you were going to use LED headlights I would likely recommend the ones from Lifetime LED's as the ones from the eBay sellers seem to have a bit of an issue as far as quality and longevity. I think the biggest difference here is that most of the eBay sellers on the LED headlights have three parts, the bulb, power supply and cooling fan with heat sink attached, and there is a separate power supply lead for both the bulb and the cooling fan / heat sink. The Lifetime LED headlights have a single power supply per bulb and the bulb, heat sink, and cooling fan are all one piece.

https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/products/category/headlights?search_api_views_fulltext=&page=1

The LED bulbs for turn signals I believe are the ones that require resistors and this is only so that the turn signals don't flash faster than stock. The flash rate for the turn signals can also be fixed by installing an electronic flasher. Considering the cost of the LED bulbs for use as turn signals, I found they were just way too expensive compared to regular bulbs for something that is not significantly brighter. Plus, the cost of cross border shipping charges from the US to Canada can add huge dollars as well.

Archived