Hi all,

So I've done this a couple years ago, but haven't really fine tuned my bike since.

I took my 93 and did the Dynojet stage 1 kit on it (jets and needles). I have the TBR lefty exhaust on it with a Delkevic shorty GP (widemouth) silencer on it. The filter is K&N.

I has some electrical gremlins which have made it run a bit sluggish, and I've sorted that as well. The only thing left (to my knowledge) is to replace the thermostat, so that it doesn't overheat.

NOW when if finish all that, I figure I should get the bike fine tuned. For this I would need someone who knows how to read a dyno chart etc.

Does anyone on here have access to one, and knows how to tune the bike according to the Dyno results..

The only reason I'm thinking I should do this is because I get some funny behavior if I run the 1st or 2nd gear into high rpm's on hard accelerations - i.e. I get something that feels like a stumble.

Also this is the only VFR I've owned/ridden, so I don't know what its supposed to feel like...

Does anyone have any input??

I'm in Toronto, BTW.

thanks in advance all!

I can read a chart. I've dyno'd hundreds of bikes. Being a V4, it won't be fun to make the adjustments though. You won't get a dyno reading in 1st though. An 'all gear' run from 2nd to 6th to red line, then a fourth gear roll on from 4th to red line. Torque and hp will of course cross at 5200rpm.

*make sure you have a good tune up on the bike before hand...air filter, good plugs, carb sync etc. It will take the headache out of a lot of it.

thanks for the info!

air filter is two years old, its a K&N as i stated, and the carbs dont spit anything back up the last time i checked..

so is there anything in particular that i need to do with it?

i'm gonna change the spark plugs soon - so new sparks will be in before dyno.

so I just need to sync the carbs...

may need some help with that... I think that there is someone up here in Toronto with a carb sync tool..

will update as progress goes!

• Member Contributer

You can't tune a bike from dyno numbers alone unless you have boat loads of cash and time to make a small change and run the dyno again. What you really want is an exhaust gas analyzer to be taking its readings at the same time the dyno is doing its thing.

You can't tune a bike from dyno numbers alone unless you have boat loads of cash and time to make a small change and run the dyno again. What you really want is an exhaust gas analyzer to be taking its readings at the same time the dyno is doing its thing.

interesting..

where would I get that done?

Keep in mind that there is ONLY ONE place around me that does dyno runs.. and they are Harley specific... thereby I'm debating whether its even worth the money to run it there..

the ideal situation is to ride somewhere in the midwest where one of us (VFR guys) has access to a dyno (maybe works at a shop or something like that) and then do some runs there - and be able to make some adjustments on my own while down there...

I don't really know what the best course of action is..

• Member Contributer

Most dyno shops have them, they thread into the O2 sensor bung.

Expect he might be hard-pressed to find on O2 bung on a '93. The one I had experience with was just a probe that was placed in the muffler. And obviously this set-up was a pain when working on a bike with multiple cylinders and without a common exhaust collector. I wouldn't discount the Harley shop though, just ask before you bring the bike what type of readings you'll come out with. An exhaust gas analyzer is a machine that sniffs the exhaust and will give you a read out of your exhaust gas make-up. Those are the readings that will tell you what you can do to get your bike fine tuned.

Archived