Starter Slipping?

Guest turbo86

If you look at the parts fiche on partzilla, it shows an exploded view of the pulse gen area, and that piece goes just like phantom said, flat side toward s/c.

Also, here's this link if you need more info:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/22135-Starter-Clutch-Repair-VFR750-With-Pictures

I looked at the fiche actually before posting (pulse generator) but couldn't see it and still can't on that diagram. Then I thought maybe on the transmission view but still nothing. I'm either blind or I don't know.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Of course now I can't find those fiche diagrams...

This is an RC30, very similar (as are the earlier VF/VFRs) - your flange washer is on the primary drive shaft at bottom right of the image.

P71700142.JPG.opt266x211o0,0s266x211.JPG

Here's an actual VFR - same thing, visible on the primary drive shaft to the right of the clutch:

94vfrstarterspag2_zpsf0653edc.jpg

And DON'T FORGET to put that little pin - 17 in diagram - back in before you button it all up.

ok great thanks. yeah i ordered a new one. 50c piece, didnt want to start fidling with taking out the old one. is it normal that its a bit loose? seems like the ID of the piece is a bit larger than the OD of the spline

Yeah its only purpose is to stand the starter clutch off the starter gear. It's not loose once you tighten up the bolt that fastens the starter clutch to the primary drive shaft.

well people, i am thrilled to report tat the starter worked perfectly 10 for 10 last night and the bike is now fully reassembled and ready to take out.... if only mother nature would let me.

once again thank you to everyone who chimed in. as a first topic, i value the community's help

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good. Thanks to everyone who chimed in

Did you replace the starter clutch? I hope your problem is cured, but I am wondering if it is. I had, and likely still have the same problem.

Took the bike out of storage. Had drained the carbs, so switched the gas on and used the starter about 8 times to pump fuel through to carbs. Not a problem. Bike started and I let it run for a few minutes.

I switched it off and the exact thing happened as in the beginning of your video (the first 15 seconds). The clattering. I put the bike into gear and pushed it forward with the engine off. Then I tried the starter again. It missed and then started. Tried 2 or 3 times after that and it started perfectly.

Today I decided to go for a ride. Used the starter and it wheezed quietly, but didn't start. Tried a couple of times, same result. Started 3rd time. Left it running, went for a 20 mile ride. Came back, tried starter twice, started instantly, no problems.

I also have the vfrness. I noticed that the wires are very tight across the battery, and the fuse is squashed when the seat is put on. I will try starting the bike with the seat off, and the wires not squashed when I next try starting the bike. Will update when I have done so.

I did end up changing the starter clutch. The problem has not reappeared since.

Thanks. I checked mine last year because of the occasional clank, miss, start ups. No apparent cracks or problems. Guess I may have to do the same as you. We'll see.

There were also no cracks or obvious signs of wear on mine other than on the back plate of the starter clutch where you could see where the rollers had moved to and from. I imagine the tolerances are quite small for it to work properly sadly

Archived