Airbox Mod Question

85VF700

Just have a queston about the airbox on my 85 VF700F Interceptor. I want to possibly cut the front of the airbox off exposing just the air filter but want to know if this will screw up the air/fuel mixture ? I dont want to have to pull the carbs apart to re-jet them if it will.

The part i want to remove is outlined in red in these pics.

The only reason i want to do this is the way im building my bike i want to relocate some of the electrical to the front of the bike behind the neck where the snorkels would originally be.

Thanks in advance for any info

0ee5cd5a-c0fc-4c8f-9ecb-1e3c98a8211e.jpg970d414b-2438-43b8-afb8-2bb7b17c17d5.jpg

It will most likely cause the engine to breath better, especially if you combine it with aftermarket "performance" air filter....and a more free flowing muffler, so be ready to maybe have to re-jet your carbs to avoid an overly lean condition. But be aware though that sometimes though, you might get totally opposite results if it turns out that the aerodynamics of the bike actually produces a negative pressure condition narrow where the new opening of the airbox would be......

It does happen on some bikes.....like the Honda Hawk GT that loses power when hit by winds at a certain angle when you are riding it. I personally experienced it on my Hawk many times, especially when I crossed the big bridges in the Bay area. Only way to find out if its going to be a problem with your bike.....is to try it out.

Thats what im thinking is to just try and see what happens. I just hate to do all the work and then have to change and move my electricals afterwards.

I saw in this thread by Tinman http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/41840-Tinman-tinkers-1983-VF750F-project that he has pod filters on there. I asked about them but never did hear back.

The area in red in this pic im going to make panels to cover the openings

fbec0dba-8191-406e-b0b5-6cd65637c95f.jpg

Archived